Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gaming on a buget

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I hear Intel is the best for gaming, but I also hear AMD is better because it dosen't have an Intagrated graphics card, so it's better for gamers looking to run better graphics cards. What do you think?

Advertisements

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Personally, I prefer Intel, usually Intel delivers more processing power, BUT at the same time most AMD processors can be more easily overclocked (if desired) and you are right about how AMD processors dont have integrated grafics cards. This question is a matter of personal choice and depends on the needs you are trying to meet. What exactly is it that you are trying to do here? From your question I gather (and assume) that you are trying to build a gaming system correct?

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yes that's true. I don't play heavy games (STALKER, Fallout 3, Metro 2033), but I sure would like to if I could find an affordable motherboard and processor. :)

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
From what I gather, it sounds like you would be safe (both getting an affordable price, and getting the processing power you are desiring) going ahead and going with AMD. Again though, I am a fan of Intel and my philosophy is you can never go wrong with them due to the fact that even if you are paying a little extra that only provides you with "wiggle room" to play with when and if you decide to upgrade. Simply put, and Intel processor gives you state of mind that you are getting the most you possibly can for your money. If you are going for affordable "in the moment" gaming, AMD. All else Intel.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Computech0115, 17 July 2010 - 12:07 AM.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Thank! I'm an Intel person too. Now that I found an Intel motherboard I like I'm definatly going back to Intel! :)

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

I hear Intel is the best for gaming, but I also hear AMD is better because it dosen't have an Intagrated graphics card, so it's better for gamers looking to run better graphics cards. What do you think?

Personally, I prefer Intel, usually Intel delivers more processing power, BUT at the same time most AMD processors can be more easily overclocked (if desired) and you are right about how AMD processors dont have integrated grafics cards. This question is a matter of personal choice and depends on the needs you are trying to meet. What exactly is it that you are trying to do here? From your question I gather (and assume) that you are trying to build a gaming system correct?

Neither AMD or Intel processors have integrated graphcis cards, it is the respective motherboards that have integrated graphics card which is called an onbard video chipset. Both AMD and Intel platforms do have motherboards that have onboard video chipsets, and just because a board has an onboard video chipset, it does not make it a bad board to use for a computer system built for gaming. It is actually nice to have the board with the onboard video chipset because you have a backup in case your graphics card decides to give up the ghost.

As far as which is better platform, AMD or Intel, both or good processors, but right now if you need to build a system on a tight budget, AMD would be the way to go because the money you save on the cpu you could put into a better graphics card. I am not saying that the processor is not important for gaming, because it is, but a better graphics card can even the playing field quite a bit because computers running today's games rely greatly on the graphics card. Here is an article from Tom's Hardware that is a good read if you disagree. It shows AMD's Phenom II going toe to toe with Intel's Core i7.

In the end, build the best system you can with the money you have. It an AMD based platform allows you to do that, then go that course, but if you have the money, I would recommend the Intel system at the moment. Intel and AMD have been at this race trading first place several times. Competition is good for us the consumer. It has driven prices down to where you can build a killer system at prices which were unheard a few years ago.

Charmz

Charmz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well, Alienware is amazing for gaming, but its expensive. If you are looking for something cheap, your best getting a ok computer and just buying a graphics card off ebay and install it yourself. :D

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,650 posts
amd is budget friendly. Both are excellent in quality. Find out what you want in motherboard features and then decide which one fits your budget best.

I've owned both platforms over the years for gaming. I feel that I have longer life from intel. However, looking at my collection of computers, they are 50/50 intel and amd. If you build for stability and don't go for the bleeding edge with the most gadgets and features then you will have a system that will last a long time.