Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC hijacked by "Antivir Solution", can't do anything

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Capriboy

Capriboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi Kahdah,

I put the new battery in. Same result. :D Have we run out of things to try? The computer actually works really well once it turns on.

Advertisements

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Hmm have you checked maybe for bios update?
Do you know the make and manufacturer of the system?
If it is a custom build tell me the motherboard make and model should be on the indie of the casing near the bottom or around the cpu.

Capriboy

Capriboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
This is a custom system (not made by me). The mother board is an Abit AT8 32x. I did some research and also noticed the LED which posts error codes during boot up. Here's what I noticed:

When powering up, there are very brief displayes of C1, then C3, and when the final display of 25, which stays lit when the unit hangs up until I power down. After powering down, the display reads 9.9.

When it pauses during boot-up to tell me it's running in Fail Safe State, the display is 7F

When it boots up all the way, the display is FF

I've downloaded the mother board manual and it says code 25 is

Early PCI Initialization:
-Enumerate PCI bus number.
-Assign memory & I/O resource
-Search for a valid VGA device & VGA BIOS, and put it into C000:0

You know what all that means much better than I.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
I tried to download the manual but the website would never work for me.
Try to reset the cmos on it To do this there may be jumpers on the motherboard it would be outlined in the manual.
Look on the board near the bottom right hand side or near the cmos battery and see if there is a pin you can reseat to clear the cmos.
If not then take the battery out and turn on the machine with nothing in it,then turn it off gain.
Then place the cmos battery back in then try to reset the bios settings back to default once more.
See if that works.
If not then take out any pci cards you have plugged in all but for any that you need then try to boot the machine and see if it makes a difference then.
Let me know the outcome.

Capriboy

Capriboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Great news!

After going through all 3 levels of CMOS resetting procedures in the manual and still no change, I got down to your last suggestion of taking out PCI cards. I took out the sound card and booted up without a problem! Restarts went the way they should over and over again. Of course, I was wondering what will happen when I put the card back in. It still works great! Or, should I say, it works the way it's supposed to, booting up every time with no "Fail Safe State" messages. Windows starts up much more quickly as well after signing in. The funny thing is, when I was resetting the CMOS by moving the jumper, I took out the sound card for easier access to the jumper. I did it several times while going through the different levels of resetting but for some reason, it didn't make a difference then. Of course, I never booted up the computer without the card, I guess that's what was different. I'm hoping it continues to work as it's supposed to from here on out.
Whew! I thought we had reached the end of the rope with this. Thanks for hanging in there and offering your suggestions.

I actually have another computer I need to go through, but I'm going to take a break for a week or 2. Should I start a new topic then or continue with this one?

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
Great glad it is working for you now.
You are welcome.
Yes if you have another computer you will have to start a new topic.

If you feel satisfied that this one is resolved I will go ahead and close it/

Capriboy

Capriboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yes, I think we can put this one to bed. Thanks for all your help. I hope I link up with you on my next computer project.

kahdah

kahdah

GeekU Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 15,822 posts
You are welcome and thanks again for the donation's.
You can shoot me a pm when you post your new topic and I will see if I can get it before someone else does. :D

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. ;)

If your the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.