Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding after PhotoShop 7 Removal & re

• Please log in to reply

GatorAmanda

GatorAmanda

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi - and thank you for listening to my problem :)

I was cleaning up my desktop (Dell Dimension B110 circa early 2006) and removed Adobe Photoshop 7 (and selected "yes to all" when prompted to remove all parts) and then removed an old HP Printer. Adobe Photoshop asked me to restart my computer - but I didn't do that until after I deleted the printer as well. After the reboot, my keyboard and mouse were gone. I could see my mouse centered in the middle of my screen (it's a logitech cordless optical which is working as I've used it and replaced batteries). My keyboard and mouse allow me to access the following:

F2 - Bios - i can use my keyboard, but nothing here is helping as far as I can tell.

F8 - Safe Mode and even last known good configuration - but as soon as Windows loads, I cannot use keyboard or mouse.

F12 - can take extended test and use mouse and keyboard in the system test, but nothing works after I leave the test.

Both mouse and keyboard are USB, but I have used the converter and made them PS/2 to no avail.

Extended test originally failed USB Ping test 2x but I just retested and now it passed, however still cannot use mouse or keyboard.

Have a usb drive in front USB, is lit up, so I know there is power to them, it's just not letting anything open.

I hope I've provided enough background for some help - I've been surfing and attempting fixes for 2 days to no avail...which is not my norm. Please help! Thank you!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried the Dell mouse drivers?

http://support.dell....p;fileid=174437

It also may be that you need to install the chipset drivers also.

http://support.dell....p;fileid=125390

It can't hurt to install them and see what happens.

SRX660

GatorAmanda

GatorAmanda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for your reply. I have finally decided that it must be that I deleted the Windows drivers for the keyboard and mouse...I only have a computer where Windows was installed on it - and I have the cd from my old laptop, not my desktop, so borrowing my brother's xp cd with hopes that it will work...we shall see....will update as soon as i can.