Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lunch order system - Excel or Access?

• Please log in to reply

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Trying to produce a basic system but not sure which program will do it best.

Basically what I want is a list of names and their balance (I guess this would be a number, say £5 if they are in hand, or a negative if they owe)

There would then be a field where you can enter how much money they have either paid in, or how much they have paid for their lunch.

A rough idea:

Posted Image

What I'm thinking is, this would not work in Excel as a sum would have to be used in the Balance field? Say =SUM C2-D2

However this would not allow the balance figure to be stored and the pay in and put fields blanked and changed daily.

It's hard to explain but I hope you understand. Any suggestions as to how I could do this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by tiroshii, 16 July 2010 - 10:34 AM.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Have you tried using software like Mint? I'm sure Excel could be set up, but I don't remember anything about it now as quit using in years ago.

Quicken is good but does cost. I used it when it was just an "infant" and it kept track of whatever I wanted to set up.

Alternatives:

GnuCash (Free)
Personal Finance Software Review

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Using Excel is certainly possible. As ever, there are probably different ways to achieve the same thing.

One way would be to have a worksheet with the entries you have displayed then put a lookup on another worksheet to show the name, total paid in, total paid, and balance.

cubelunch

cubelunch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
cubelunch.com perhaps?
http://cubelunch.com/