Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do ALL Intel motherboards support hyper-threading?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
I'm looking at motherboards and I noticed some motherboards support hyper-threading and others don't. This makes me wonder because ALL Corei processors have hyper-threading. So did the company think that putting that in wasn't important? If you're wondering this is the motherboard I'm looking at.

ASUS P7P55 WS Supercomputer
http://www.newegg.co...-594R-_-Product

Thanks for the help!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hyper-threading is a processor feature, not a board feature.
Therefore the presence of such an option is CPU dependent. The G6950 processor, for example, doesn't hyper-thread. Therefore there would be no option in the BIOS for it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 July 2010 - 03:52 PM.

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
He is correct, Hyper Threading is a processor feature, but after reviewing your motherboard specs (again :) ) I noticed that the motherboard in question has Intel Turbo Boost Technology. In many way this is considered next generation technology, and is better than the Hyper Threading feature. You have to remember Hyper threading has been around for some years. We had it with its first introduction being combined with the Pentium 4 Processor chip set and that technology is quite outdated by todays technology. So in regards to your motherboard, whether its equipped to utilize Hyper Threading or not doesn't matter as long as you are using a processor that has Intel Turbo Boost or some equivalent.