Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is the Core i7 better than the Phenom x6?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
Rumor has it the Corei7 Unlocked @ 2.93 Ghz is better than then the Phenom II Black Edition x6 @ 3.2Ghz. How? :) The Phenom II has 6 cores and the Core i7 has only 4. Plus the Phenom runs faster! Can someone explain to me why people say the Core i7 is better?

Advertisements

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
From doing a little research on your topic, I have to say I was surprised myself (being an intel fan) in finding out that the Phenom II Black Edition turns out to be the better for processing power and speed only, the Intel i7 is more efficient in how is processes and how much resources it uses (power etc.). That is the only possible comparison point I can see between the two as you have already stated the Phenom II Black Edition has several advantages over the i7 when it comes to the processing area. Maybe this was what they were referring to? There is no easy way to discern without simply asking them.

Hope this helps!

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
It depends on how much money you have to spend. If you have $200 or more to spend on your processor, tnen, yeah; I would go with an Intel Core i5, or even an Intel Core i7-860 or i7-930 if you got around $300, versus AMD's Phenom II x6. If my funds are more constrained, I would more than likely go with an AMD platform over Intel.

That being said, you also need to consider what you will be doing with the computer you are building when considering what processor to get.

Here is the latest from Tom's Hardware on the best gaming cpu's for the money as of this month. It offers some good advice when considering processors based on how much you have to spend on your system and what said funds you have allocated to the purchase of the cpu.

edit: fixed url link.

Edited by MedStudent.003Hz, 18 July 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Cool! Thanks!