Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD ntkrnlpa.exe

• Please log in to reply

Halvtand

Halvtand

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everyone, I'm back again with a new problem.

It all started some time ago. One of my HDDs started to go bad (suddently stopped working at random times, but always showed up again after a restart of the system) so I figured it was about time to exchange it. I couldn't afford to buy a new HDD then so I unplugged the bad drive and waited for better times.

Then I bought an external HDD and plugged it in (surprised that no CD with drivers was included), my win xp pro found it and the bad drive (which I had plugged in again). The HDD had apparently gotten worse by being unplugged (stopped working faster, sometimes didn't show up after reboot) so I started to work immediately. I started to transfer the files. Bluescreen.
Restarted, tried again, bluescreen.
Restarted, tried again, no bluescreen (weird, I thought). The files were transfered, the bad disk removed from the system. When I was at it I thought it best to backup my other HDD too, you guessed it, bluescreen.

It all ended with me emptying the second HDD and formating it because for some reason I had made it a dynamic disk, now it's basic again. Anyway, I thought the it was the old, bad drive that caused the BSODs, but that was pretty much out of the question when I started to work on the second drive.
I did a scan with Whocrashed (dumps found below) and found out that ntkrnlpa.exe was causing them, after a few hours on Google I still had no idea of how to fix it. Everyone I could find that had solved their problem was either using win 7 or a laptop-

Almost everytime it was caused by faulty drivers of some sort and as I didn't get a driver-CD with my external HDD I went to the manufacturers homepage to look for the drivers. No drivers for XP though.

I'm pretty sure that it's the External drive that are causing the BSOD's, but I'm not really sure about how to fix it... Help?

Report from whocrashed:
[codebox]Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 2010-07-16 09:38:26 your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xA46F659C, 0x2, 0x1, 0x806ECAB2)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071610-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Operativsystemet Microsoft® Windows®
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT:s kernel och system
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 2010-07-15 02:21:09 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xE8, 0x2, 0x1, 0x806E6A16)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071510-01.dmp
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 2010-07-13 08:00:27 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x99EADF5C, 0x2, 0x1, 0x806ECAB2)
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071310-02.dmp

On Tue 2010-07-13 01:39:03 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xCA (0x5, 0x8ACC8030, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071310-01.dmp

On Thu 2010-07-08 22:19:03 your computer crashed
Bugcheck code: 0xCA (0x5, 0x8ACCF030, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070910-01.dmp

Conclusion
5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is really responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.[/codebox]

Edited by Halvtand, 16 July 2010 - 06:31 PM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I would suspect either faulty ram or a bad driver, but not the driver for the external drive. Drivers aren't supplied with external drives because since XP external drivers aren't required, they are supplied with Windows.

If the problem still occurs with no external drive connected, it can't be the external drive.

You can test the ram with "memtest". Let it run for as long as you possibly can for reliable results. A short test is not long enough to thoroughly check it for errors: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Halvtand

Halvtand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Right, I'm back and here's the news: Still crap.

I went away this weekend and let memtest run, I came home after about 59 hours and memtest still had'nt found any errors. I think we can scratch faulty ram from the list...

Other things I've done:

Unplugged the external drive. I thought that the hdd was causing the bsod, and when I unplugged it I didn't get a bluescreen for a while, but then it came, the external drive is not the bad dude here.

Uninstalled and reinstalled my video card drivers. It semi-worked with my last case of bsod, did absolutely nothing thins time.

Check my computer with driver checker. You mentioned bad drivers so I had it checked. One obsolete driver having something to do with the motherboard. Nothing.

So, what's the next step from here?