Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't start up normally.

• Please log in to reply

Rakc

Rakc

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey guys, Rakc here with a problem relating to my sister's DELL Inspiron 1525 Laptop.
I'll give you the specs of the laptop:

15.4-inch WXGA (1280 x 800) CCFL TrueLife (glossy) screen
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo T7250 processor
2GB DDR2-667 SDRAM (up to 4GB DDR2 SDRAM available)
120GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
Click here for full specs..

On to what happened..
Okay, so it was a normal day and all, myself in my room on the computer and my sister in her room on her laptop.
She was playing a game that she installed yesterday, called Audition. It's an online Dance Competition game.
Okay, yesterday she played it fine, nothing happened, nothings wrong. But today when she played it for about.. 1~2 hours, the laptop suddenly shut off.
She said, "It probably shut off because the laptop overheated or something," and it does that sometimes too.
Then she turned it back on after about 15 seconds and it worked fine. Few minutes later, the laptop decides to restart.

It then shows the screen where the background is black and white writing shows. I could select an option and press enter for it to work.
Options were: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally.
I wasn't sure if there were more options, but those were all I could remember. So I chose "Start Windows Normally," and it starts to load..
But then a Blue Screen of Death shows up and says something about Crash Dump files.. I wasn't sure.
Then one line of that was saying something about percents. It went from 0% to 100% and the laptop restarted and showed the Safe Mode screen again.

Now after it restarted, I tried picking the other options like "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt.. etc" and guess what?! It does the same thing!
Another time before this, about 1 month before, another problem happened to the laptop. The Black Screen of Death came up and we had to go out and bring it to a store to get it fixed for quite some money.
After it came back, the laptop was erased and it was like a brand new laptop we just bought. Everything else worked fine after that.
But today the Blue Screen came up and the laptop won't start up normally! I don't want to get my dad to have to pay to get this fixed again. It's ridiculous.

So if anybody or anyone could help me with this problem, it would be the best!
If you have any other questions, please ask me and I would be glad to answer them.

Rakc

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Running games on a laptop really does put it under pressure unless it's a newish model with a two-core or quad-core processor, a heavy-duty graphics chip, and loads of ram installed. Even then heat can still be a problem inside a small space. The processor on your sister's laptop is probably up to the job, but with only 2Gig ram to run Vista & a fair chunk of that being shared with the graphics chip, the ram is going to take a real hammering when a game is running. This will cause it to overheat in a small, rectangular case only an inch high that wasn't designed for gaming.

That applies to all laptops generally because of their small size and the lack of room for hot air to escape and cool air to get in, though obviously some are better able to cope with that than others - usually that means buying a large screen model which has a larger case, from one of the really "big names" like Sony - at a big price to match.

The bottom line is that your sister is probably expecting too much of her laptop, and that's why many still prefer to have an under-desk tower system which are much easier to keep cool for power-users and gamers.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 July 2010 - 08:44 AM.