Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

FakeAlert and possible other viruses

• Please log in to reply

Nickodemus

Nickodemus

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all a big THANK YOU for your Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. I think it has worked wonders on cleaning my PC of a nasty virus or virus(s).

Background: Pop-up box appeared with the familiar red circle with X inside, stating Application unable to load because of a missing dll with the only option to click OK (so I did). However, this started a series of events too numerous to mention. At the end I had the Virus FakeAlert pop-up with ballons popping up from the start bar next to the clock, telling me numerous different things, saying my computer was at risk of viruses and trying to direct me to a website to buy it (which I didnt't go there). I tried to run my Virus Protection Software provided by my internet Service Provider(Rogers-where I have since discovered it might be by a software by Radialpoint SafeCare Inc)and do a scan, but the computer started to do re-boots on it's own. Before finding Geeks To Go, I found a website saying to run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and if this didn't work to try McAfee's Stinger. I tried these and, since the computer continued to reboot on it's own, I got to the point where I couldn't even get the PC to boot in Normal or Safe Mode. After researching Microsoft's website, I was able to get it to boot in Safe Mode with the disable automatic restarts option.

I then found the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and followed all the steps in Safe Mode with the disable automatic restarts option. At the end it did enable me to re-boot the machine normally. However, I was still getting the FakeAlert Virus software pop-up and balloon messages.

So, I then went thru the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide steps using a normal boot and it has seems to clean out my problem (only took me three days, as some of the scans took 2 to 3 hours to run) and in some cases I re-ran the Malwarebytes and my virus software a couple times to be sure it wasn't picking up any viruses after the reboots.

After I thought all was clean, at one point my computer wouldn't run exe files, so I used one of the posts here and it fixed my missing registry entries. When I tried starting FireFox I got a pop-up, that it couldn't find lgsnotify.exe. However, after a couple of re-boots it no longer appears when staring FireFox and I am not directed to a fake purchase virus website.

I was wondering if someone could check my logs, to see if there is anything else I should do while my computer is stable. I have attached three MBAM logs with the dates run, as they seem to have picked up different viruses on each scan. I included the ARK file and OTL file. I had to run the OTL three times, once in Safe Mode and two in regular mode. I am only attaching my last run log. It didn't produce an extra log.

Sorry for the long post, but am trying to provide as much info as I can. All I can say this is one nasty virus.

Once again, THANKS a MILLION for your Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. It was a lifesaver.

Attached Files

Advertisements