Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services error

• Please log in to reply

mcmah2b0

mcmah2b0

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Whenever I start up my computer and Windows comes on I get a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error. I get these two errors probably a dozen times before they stop coming up. One of them says Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to close. And says send error report or don't send. The other says Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows. To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program. Please help me fix this problem!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hello and welcome to GTG forum. I found this on M$ knowledge base. Please take a look and see if it helps...

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;821690

BlueSonicWave

BlueSonicWave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm getting the same error everytime I start my computer. According to the Microsoft Knowledge database, it's caused by an HP printer...which I don't have! Actually, I don't have any printer installed at the moment. And yes, this happened after a Windows Update. If anyone knows how to get rid of this "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" error, please let me know.

ambo518

ambo518

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a similar problem following a clean install of XP pro.

After the clean install, I installed the SP2 update disc and rebooted several times - no problems appeared at this stage and Device Manager indicated no hardware problems. I then installed AVG antivirus from disc, Ghosted an image (to play it safe) before heading off to Windows Update. Following the update installation, I uninstalled AVG, rebooted several times and twice received the error "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Encountered a Problem and Needed to Close".

So I opened MS Config > Startup Tab. 3 items were present 1. ctfmon 2. msmsgs 3. dumprep 0-u. I disabled 2 & 3 > rebooted several times, and no error has appeared. So it was back to msconfig, where I enabled item 2.

Several more reboots and no error message has appeared.

So, the only startup item that is still disabled is 3. dumprep 0-u.

I'll leave it that way for the time being, and if the error returns I'll write back.

Note that the PC is an original Compaq Presario Desktop - vintage around 2000.