Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Numerous Problems w/XP

• Please log in to reply

vPikachu

vPikachu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have with me an old family computer that was said to be broken, but I've brought it to my own attention and it is not broken, but in a few ways is.

First of all, I know it has a virus, due to it blocking out every single antivirus program I install, and blocking the internet. My only intention is to copy important files to a 2GB flash drive, and then reset the computer factory settings, or recovering it, or whatever. The problem is, the computer won't allow me to drag-and-drop files or copy/move files from anywhere to anywhere else. Where ever you check the"Enable-Dragging-and-Dropping" box, I've done it. No success. Please guide me through this.

PS:
If the only means of solving this problem is removing the virus, so be it. Guide me.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
have you tried just Right-Clicking (instead of drag-an-drop) on the files you wanna keep and choosing Copy then going to the flash drive and pasting them there. If that doesn't work then (assuming the computer is a desktop pc) I'd just take the hard drive out and put it in another computer (make sure it has good anti-virus software) as a secondary drive and get the files off it that way. If u have any questions just ask.

good luck.
Later

vPikachu

vPikachu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

have you tried just Right-Clicking (instead of drag-an-drop) on the files you wanna keep and choosing Copy then going to the flash drive and pasting them there. If that doesn't work then (assuming the computer is a desktop pc) I'd just take the hard drive out and put it in another computer (make sure it has good anti-virus software) as a secondary drive and get the files off it that way. If u have any questions just ask.

good luck.
Later

Problem solved, used a 3rd party file manager.
But now another problem:
System Restore is blocked, the service was stopped and disabled, and I can't disable it or start it. I also don't have the disc to the Windows. Help?

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
try going to THIS webpage and follow there instructions to try and re-enable system restore.

hope this helps. good luck.
Later

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Did you unpartition and then reset up the partition then format and do a fresh install of the OS?
If not then you still may be infected and I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

vPikachu

vPikachu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Did you unpartition and then reset up the partition then format and do a fresh install of the OS?
If not then you still may be infected and I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Lol, I'm too lazy to do all that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To lazy to do what?
If you still have a hidden infection your issues will return. Your AV will be only the first of many things to stop working.
I can only suggest how to make sure your system is healthy. Good luck and let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.