Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with windows update failing

• Please log in to reply

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for offering help for our computer issues.

I was able to run windows update fine until now and it is set to do it automatically and suddenly it started failing at each critical update. I ran a hijack this log and had some unusual looking entries and wondered if someone could walk me thru removing any bad items and getting windows update to work again. When windows update goes down, I always worry that something is about to go wrong.

Thanks for your help. I saw entries I never saw before in hijack this. It was:

"DWQueuedReporting"="c:\progra~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe"

There were entries showing this executable to run as a default user and as a user system.

I would appreciate your assistance. Thank you, Cousin Gab

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I suggest you go to the <a href="http://www.geekstogo...moval-f37.html" target="_blank">Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum</a> and run all the steps located in the
<a href="http://www.geekstogo...ide-t2852.html" target="_blank"><!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->START HERE<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a>. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in <b>THAT</b> forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...<b>I am unable to run any malware tools</b>

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to <b>THIS</b> thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

<b>Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here</b>

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

I still have not been helped. I still have one computer down totally and the one I am using is infected. It first had the prolaco worm which was removed by malwarebytes anti malware. then it found the artemis. and gmer shows a lot of rootkit activity of the iexplore exe redundancy. I really need to get the computer that is down up again. It was hit but it won't boot into windows now but I have been able to get it into safemode. Can you help?

I have waited patiently at bleeping computer and your site for days and days now and I am returning here because I really need to get back up and running. I don't like using an infected computer although it is still running okay but slow. I have not addressed the removals of the rootkit activity.

Thanks for your attention to this.
Cousin Gab

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi there,

I still have not been helped. I still have one computer down totally and the one I am using is infected. It first had the prolaco worm which was removed by malwarebytes anti malware. then it found the artemis. and gmer shows a lot of rootkit activity of the iexplore exe redundancy. I really need to get the computer that is down up again. It was hit but it won't boot into windows now but I have been able to get it into safemode. Can you help?

I have waited patiently at bleeping computer and your site for days and days now and I am returning here because I really need to get back up and running. I don't like using an infected computer although it is still running okay but slow. I have not addressed the removals of the rootkit activity.

Thanks for your attention to this.
Cousin Gab

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi again, I just tried to start the computer that is down and I can't get anything now. It does not even give me a start of the system at all. No safe mode or anything. I think we waited too long. So now it is only the one I am on now because I am not sure what to do with the one that is dead. I did run the tests on the other forum and then I waited and waited. Then the site was down for their own issues I think and then I am still waiting for help.
should i start all over again there?

thanks, Cousin Gab

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Avira Antivir Rescue System from here. Run the built-in burning program and create a bootable CD. Boot the "dead" computer with the CD and run a complete scan. Please note that default language is German but you can change it to English by clicking the correct flag.

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Download Avira Antivir Rescue System from here. Run the built-in burning program and create a bootable CD. Boot the "dead" computer with the CD and run a complete scan. Please note that default language is German but you can change it to English by clicking the correct flag.

Hi there,

thanks for the reply. Okay so I can download this to the working computer and create the bootable cd on another computer and then use it for the dead computer? Is there a way to put a boot process onto a flash drive?

please clarify this for me. Thanks for your help with this.
Cousin Gab

cousin gab

cousin gab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I tried to click the link you gave me and I'm being warned about not enabling intranet settings.
the warning is telling me it is much less secure than internet. I've never seen that before.
Can I get a link from you in a secure environment vs an intranet setting which I have never used?

thanks, Cousin Gab

Hi there,

thanks for the reply. Okay so I can download this to the working computer and create the bootable cd on another computer and then use it for the dead computer? Is there a way to put a boot process onto a flash drive?

please clarify this for me. Thanks for your help with this.
Cousin Gab