Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOTRO (Lord of the Rings online)

• Please log in to reply

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Has anyone played Lord of the rings online before? I have been following the news about it becoming free to play so I am wondering if it will be worth the huge download? Is it a CPU/Ram heavy game?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Teppotastic

Teppotastic

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've played LOTRO extensively since beta. Been in a static group (same guys, playing 3-4 hours every Monday night) for about 18months with our main characters. That's just so you know where I'm coming from :)

LOTRO can be heavy on your RAM with all the settings ramped up. Especially the optional super hi-res textures. These will actually cause the install to increase upto about 12Gb total.

That being said - the settings are pretty granular so you can sort things out as you want them. If you have a good (read 20Mb/sec+) speed USB memory stick you can use a program called Flashboost (here) to make loadtimes abit faster.

If you've got any more questions feel free to ask away :)

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Thanks for the info, currently my machine can't handle that graphics so I was wondering if it would work on a new netbook I am planning I am getting so maybe I will test it out on that because I won't lose much trying.