Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

7600GT won't run on MSI G31M3

• Please log in to reply

gimlins

gimlins

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

I recently acquired GeForce 7600GT (PCI Express) video card, but I have and onboard card on MSI G31M3 motherboard (on Vista), which does not let me connect the 7600gt so easily.

I tried disabling the onboard card from device manager and uninstalling driver from Programs and Features, THEN connecting new card, but still nothing - computer starts fine, but monitor doesn't show anything.

In BIOS it shows, that my Primary Graphics Adapter ir set to PCIE (which is what i need, right?).

What must i do, to connect my new card?

Thanks for helping. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Hi gimlins :)
You must first install your new cards drivers & then
disable the onboard gfx card, reboot your computer &
your new card should be up & running.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
In BIOS i tried to change Primary Graphics Adapter to see if it would somehow help: when i set it to PCI or Internal (instead of PCI-E which was there by default), i can still use my onboard graphic card while the NVIDIA card is inserted in the PCI-E slot on the motherboard - I could not do that before with Primary Graphics Adapter set to PCI-E.

Maybe this information means something... I don't know.

When i try to install driver for the new card (before connecting monitor to it) i get an error:
The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

Edited by gimlins, 15 September 2010 - 10:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Download and install the latest drivers from here http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us
Go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video, save and exit, shut down the computer, connect the monitor lead to the GeForce 7600GT and boot up, the card should now work.
Let us know how it goes.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I guess I didn't really tell before - in BIOS i don't have an option to disable onboard video. Also no jumper to do it on the motherboard. I read that in such cases it usually means that you just have to insert the new card and that's it. Not in my case. I hope there isn't some absolute incompatibility between my motherboard and new video card or something...

Just now i posted my problem to the MSI Online Customer Service. Hopefully, i will get a normal reply.
When i do get a reply, i will post here.

P.S. Do you think Windows Vista might be causing this problem or it has nothing to do with OS? I'm asking because i have experienced some other problems with Vista (not quite like this one, though).

Anyway, thanks for helping phillpower2.

Edited by gimlins, 16 September 2010 - 10:59 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
In your BIOS under PNP/PCI Comfiguration you have Primary Graphic’s Adapter This setting specifies which graphics card is your primary graphics adapter.

In your BIOS under Advanced BIOS Features go to the field Chipset Feature and under VGA share memory disabled it if you have the option or choose the lowest setting.

The only other thing I can think of is that your Power Supply Unit is not strong enough to completely enable your Video Card so Windows does not recognize any Video Card, usually if the PSU is not strong enough the BIOS will beep and tell you before Windows loads but you never know.

The minimum PSU reccomendation for a 7600Gt is a 400watt PSU so depending on you other hardware i would suggest a minimum of 500watt.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, Alzeimer, for your suggestions.

First, I checked that PSU is strong enough.

I set Primary Graphics Adapter to PCI in BIOS.
I do not have an option in BIOS to disable VGA share memory, but I set it to lowest - 1m (before it was set to 8m).
Then I disabled onboard video thru Device Manager. Everything look rather bad after that.
I shut down the computer, connected the monitor to the new card, turned computer on, but still monitor didn't show anything.
I think, maybe I should try do all that again, only after disabling onboard video I should also uninstall the driver from control panel. Although I somehow doubt it will help.

I looked carefully in BIOS in every place where "PCI" is mentioned. I found a few things, which i will now write here. I have no idea if it is related to my current problem.

1. In BIOS going to Integrated Peripherals/ On-Chip ATA Devices/ PCI IDE Bus Master there are two options for this - enabled and disabled (currently set to disabled). In help it is written: ENABLED: BIOS uses PCI busmastering for reading/writing to IDE drives.

2. Under Cell Menu in BIOS there is something called Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency, which is set to enabled by default.

3. Also in Cell Menu in BIOS: Adjust PCI-E Frequency (MHz), which is set to 120, and it won't allow me to change it.

Should I change something in these 3 instances?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Are you downloading the correct drivers? Double check the model number and verify if you are on a 32 or 64bit machine.

Also, reset your BIOS to default settings. Plug in your monitor to the card. Install drivers.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm sure i downloaded correct driver.
I will try resetting BIOS to default settings. Will see if that helps.
(Possibly stupid) question: can't something go wrong somehow if i reset BIOS to defaults?

For now i can't connect monitor to the new card and then install the driver, because (as i wrote before) once i do it, monitor doesn't show anything, so it's not possible.

Edited by gimlins, 16 September 2010 - 02:24 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So plug it into the onboard to load the driver

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
As i wrote before:

When i try to install driver for the new card (before connecting monitor to it) i get an error:
The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

But thanks anyway.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Do you have any other cards in your PCI slots if yes take them out and try to boot that way to see if Windows recognizes your card. Other MSI boards have had this problem.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, there are no other cards...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts
Try downloading the driver from here http://www.pcpitstop...ce~7600~GT.html
Hopefully you will have better luck with it.

gimlins

gimlins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, i will try.
For now i won't be at home for about five or six days, so i will update on my progress someday next week.

Thank you all again :)