Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Power Supply Noise - HELP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a serious problem with my computer. My power supply does some REALLY strange noises, I can hear them louder if I am at the back of the psu, and it sounds like electrical current of some sort. And like this wasn't enough, today the whole system just shut itself down (the power stayed on and it still is, so the psu didn't go nuts, but when I push the power button nothing happens).

The system specs are as follows: (also bear in mind that the system is like only 3 years old).

Mobo: ASUS Maximus Formula
PSU: Recom Power Engine 550W TC
RAM: Corsair Dual Channel 2x1GB
Sound Card: Supreme FX II (bundled with the mobo)
Video Card: XFX nVidia GeForce 8800GT

any help would be appreciated, thank you!! :) :)

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Not sure what you want us to tell you. Replace the PSU. See my canned text on sizing and selecting a PSU here.