Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot windows XP - white screen

• Please log in to reply

kaida

kaida

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried to reinstall windows XP, it all seems to install then it goes to the windows xp loading screen, then I get a white screen of death and nothing else. I can boot up in safe mode, but thats all i can do. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Advertisements

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Did you re-install from a full install disk or a recovery disk.?
If you've got nothing to lose as in data on your HDD I'd be inclined to go back to basics and re-format your HDD and have another go at re-installing the O/S.

What was the reason for the re-install in the first place?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Being that you can boot into sage mode would indicate a driver issue.
Boot into safe mode and then do the following.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly into Normal Mode and is running smoothly then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

kaida

kaida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I thought I re-installed from a full disk, but now I'm not so sure. It was a disk loaned to me by a friend. i tried to re-install windows because certain programs were not running right and I wanted a fresh start with it. I got it as a used computer, and many programs I normally use had been removed from it, though it functioned fine otherwise. The opportunity to get those programs back was too good to miss.

I did the msconfig startups.... there was only one thing available to uncheck and that was the rundll32 srclient. Does that mean it's not a full install disk?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something didn't install correctly.
Is the disk you used a full retail version, OEM, upgrade or recovery cd?
Is your system a brand name system and if so what make and model?
Is there a sticker somewhere on the system saying what the original OS that was installed on the system?

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

I thought I re-installed from a full disk, but now I'm not so sure. It was a disk loaned to me by a friend. i tried to re-install windows because certain programs were not running right and I wanted a fresh start with it. I got it as a used computer, and many programs I normally use had been removed from it, though it functioned fine otherwise. The opportunity to get those programs back was too good to miss.

I did the msconfig startups.... there was only one thing available to uncheck and that was the rundll32 srclient. Does that mean it's not a full install disk?

When you first did your re-install did you re-format the HDD first or try to install over the existing system?

kaida

kaida

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It's not a brand name computer, and the original operating system was XP Home edition, it came to me with XP Pro which is what I've been trying to install. When i first tried to re-install i formated the drive. Thanks everyone