Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Switcher/Splitter

• Please log in to reply

Tallimos

Tallimos

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I apologize if this does not make sense or is confusing. But I am looking for a device that is similar to an hdmi or audio/video cable splitter/switcher but for power. What I mean is I want a device where I can plug in 3 or more power cables and it has one power cable to plug into a power bar. Then I can select which device gets power. Like for example I plug in a blu-ray player, xbox and ps3 into this device, I select the first device and power to the blu-ray goes to the blu-ray player, then I can select the second device and power stops going to the blu-ray player and goes to the xbox and so on. I would love it if there is a device that has both hdmi and/or audio/video plus power. I tried searching around the net for it but either it does not exist or I am using the wrong terminology. If anybody knows please help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
why do you need to select which device has power? why not just have them all plugged into a power strip?

Tallimos

Tallimos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Reason I want this is because I have just to many items to plug in so if I got a device like I can plug in more of the items.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you're switching main's power you'd have to be carefull and actually pay attention to what you're doing but.

you could build a switch board with normal wall outlets and light switches. it would be a little dificult to have it where turning on one switch would turn off the rest, so you'd have to do that manually.

Tallimos

Tallimos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That sounds to complicated to me and I would probably end up frying all my gear lol