Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 starting in D: instead of C:

• Please log in to reply

varunj

varunj

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum but after searching high ad low, had to resort to asking the question myself.

Basically, my Windows 7 install is starting up with D: as default instead of C: as default - which I've been used to for the last 10 years with Windows systems!

I think this is also the reason why my user profile is not loading up, and I get a temp profile everytime.

Leading up to this mess, I had performed many activities, any of which could have caused this.

Initially, I had a setup with WinXP, Win7 and Ubuntu installed - all working absolutely fine.

The setup was something along the lines of:
sda1 winxp (ntfs, primary partition)
sda2 win7 (ntfs, logical partition)
sda5 ubuntu (ntfs, logical partition)

I no longer required winXP, so deleted the partition. This killed the boot setup of my computer, and I had to try all the win7 tools to rebuild the mbr, etc. (/fixboot, /fixmbr, /rebuildbcd, etc.) This didn't it running.

My current state of the harddrive is:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 26602 213680533+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 26603 38159 92824515 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda3 38160 38913 6056505 2 XENIX root
/dev/sda5 26603 30343 30049519+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 30344 30510 1341396 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda7 30511 38159 61432528+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

Then I used a livecd to reinstall grub to the mbr. This got Ubuntu running again.

I edited menu.lst, and got Windows 7 to boot by adding the following:

title Microsoft Windows 7
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
boot

Now, for some reason, my Windows 7 boots up, but in D:

Can someone please help me out getting it started in C: instead? If you need any more system details, please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You should remove ALL partitions currently on the physical drive using drive-management software which runs from a bootable CD (for example, Paragon Hard Disk Manager: http://www.paragon-s.../hdm-personal/)

The free trial should suffice for a "one off" use. Then you will be able to install Windows from scratch on to a single partition which fills the whole drive, instead of getting in such a mess with multiple partitions.

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Or you can use Easeus and not have to worry about a free trial since it is free altogether and works great.
Here is a link...

http://download.cnet...4-10863346.html

varunj

varunj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys for the help, but I managed to change the Windows operating system drive letter back to C:, but following the guidelines in the following tutorial: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

Hope I haven't messed up things further, but reformatting everything is not something I can afford right now.

Thanks anyways