Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excel saved as temp file....help!

• Please log in to reply

seaeaglesrock

seaeaglesrock

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I've been saving my excel all day & have realized that i haven't "saved as". It's been saved
as temp file, is there a way to recover?

Thx
Mike :)

Advertisements

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi Mike

Do you mean recover the original Excel file... the file you first started with before making any changes? I believe you would have overwritten the original file each time you clicked Save.

Not sure what you mean by "it's been saved as a temp file."

seaeaglesrock

seaeaglesrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry, i confuse myself sometimes!!

I opened up the excel from an email, i didn't do a "save as" (like i normally do) to the
desktop but I've clicked on "save" all day after entering data & have been told it gets saved to a temporary file.

Is that right?

Thx

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Hi

If you saved the email when you closed it, the new Excel file will be attached.

If you closed the email first then worked on the Excel file, try Excel's File menu and see if the last saved filename opens your file.

seaeaglesrock

seaeaglesrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks for your help

it's just gone.....

Vino Rosso

Vino Rosso

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 235 posts
Last thought... try searching for all files with a .xls extension.

Then sort by date and look for a .xls file with a date that coincides with when you last saved the file.

Remember to search in 'All files and folders' and, in advanced options, to have 'search system folders', 'search hidden files and folders', and 'search subfolders' all ticked.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Excel uses a default save folder unless you have previously changed it. To check by changing again to see what current folder is:

Changing Default Save Location

1. Click the Tools menu and select "Options...".

2. Click the "General" tab.

3. Change the "Default file location:" text to the path of the folder you want to set as the default save location.

4. Click OK.

You don't have to change the current folder, but this is where the saved files should be located. Use Windows Explorer and browse to the location.

See related:

Set or rename a default working folder

Use the following procedure to set the default location where MS Word is to save your files

Remember, you don't need to change anything. Just write down the current path and browse to it. You can use Excel's Open File instead of Windows Explorer.

seaeaglesrock

seaeaglesrock

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx Vino....no luck

Thx AstaNut, it wasn't there, when i download it from email it says "saving as temp file"

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
OK. If you downloaded it from the Web Mail you use online, it probably went into the system's temp folder. If using IE, it may be in its Temporary Internet Folder.

The easiest way to find it is to do a Computer search using *.xml or whatever the extension is used. That will pull up EVERY file with that extension.