Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to download anything

• Please log in to reply

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, here's what I know... All automatic updates will update and work fine, however, when attempting to download from the internet IE: ATF Cleaner, MBAM, etc.. I get no window asking to save or run, if I right click the link, and open in another window, a window opens for about 2 seconds and closes... The owner of this laptop says that she thinks she set it that way so that her kids couldn't download to it, but doesn't remember what she did, and I have been able to locate any settings anywhere that would allow or disallow downloading of anything... Any suggestions?
Running Windows XP
System Guard (no idea about this, and the owner has no idea how to operate it or what it does, but turning it off seems to have zero effect on anything.)
Avast Free addition
Full admin authority
** Also a side note : Was unable to open Internet options, per suggestions copied file (IECMPL.CMPL ?) from IE7 folder into sys32, and am now able to open and effect IE options.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Internet Explorer click Tools > internet options > Security. Click "reset all zones to default level". Click Tools again > internet options > Advanced. Click "restore advanced setting" and then click "Apply".

ahmooresville

ahmooresville

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, tried that, still unable to download :)
Also, just so that I am clear, I accessed intenet options from the IE shortcut in the start menu, if I was supposed to do it from the tools menu on the IE toolbar, there in lies the problem, I have no IE toolbar.. Only Google and ATT/yahoo toolbar, and can't seem to get the IE toolbar to show itself..

Edited by ahmooresville, 19 July 2010 - 02:28 PM.