Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't boot at all

• Please log in to reply

Marshmallow

Marshmallow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I caught a case of the Google redirect virus on my computer earlier, and attempted to follow the instructions over in the Malware section (http://www.geekstogo...ts-t267407.html) to remove it. After I ran OTM, it told me to reboot and I clicked Yes. Now the computer won't boot at all. It gets to the screen with the Windows logo, the blue bars at the bottom go for a bit, then it restarts. Normal, safe mode, and last known working configuration don't work.

I don't know what else I can do but try to repair the installation, but it won't boot from the CD. Trying to check the BIOS for the boot order leaves me stuck with it asking for a password which I don't have. All of the methods I can find to get around the password mean wiping all the settings, which I'm not comfortable doing since I'm not sure I could reset them correctly.

So...is there anything else I can try besides doing a Windows repair? Is there any other way to get it to boot from the CD or to get around the BIOS passwords (I've tried the list of 'standard' ones)? Is there anything else I'm missing? Help!

Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am not certain by any means that clearing cmos to reset will have any success.
However. Is the computer branded if so make and model.
If not on the motherboard will be a battery, most likely a CR2032. silver in colour and about 20mm dia.
Take the battery out, normally held in with a small clip. Near to this there may well be three pins on which a jumper will be across two of them. It may well be labelled RTC. If so take the jumper off the two pins it is on and place it on the others. ie: looking from the left it is on 1 and 2. place it on 2 and 3.
Only a second in that position is required. Put the jumper back, as it was and replace the battery.
NOTE IF THIS IS NOT AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION OF your motherboard, then find its make whilst you have the cover off and google that to the makers site and then find the exact instructions.
ASLO IF YOU ARE NOT CERTAIN of your capabilities do NOT try this.
Do not worry about resetting the BIOS - lets get into it first.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2010 - 01:23 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You shouldn't worry about clearing your BIOS. All you have to set again is time, date and boot order.

Before trying windows repair I would run chkdsk /r command in the recovery console. This has much better chance to fix the boot problem without going into the troubles that often follow XP repair. If you are not sure how to do this, please ask.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
At the moment they cannot run chkdsk from the RC because it will not load the CD.

Do not worry about resetting the BIOS - lets get into it first

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2010 - 01:16 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

At the moment they cannot run chkdsk from the RC because it will not load the CD.

Do not worry about resetting the BIOS - lets get into it first

I know. I meant for them to run chkdsk after overcoming the password obstacle. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Marshmallow

Marshmallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You shouldn't worry about clearing your BIOS. All you have to set again is time, date and boot order.

Before trying windows repair I would run chkdsk /r command in the recovery console. This has much better chance to fix the boot problem without going into the troubles that often follow XP repair. If you are not sure how to do this, please ask.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I was able to track down the password after all (yay for that) and got it to boot from the CD. When I go into the recovery console, though, I can't get it to find my windows installation. It just says:

Microsoft Windows XP™ Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
C:\>

I don't know if the problem is that the hard drive on the computer is actually I: (don't ask me why, my brother built this computer years ago). I tried to /chdir to I but it says the path or file specified is not valid. I saw a /map command so I did that and it only listed:

A: \Device\Floppy0
G: \Device\CDRom0
H: \Device\CdRom1

I restarted with the CD and went into the setup option instead of the recovery console to see if it would show up there, but that list shows:

Unknown Disk
<There is no disk in this drive.>
Unknown Disk
Unknown Disk
Unknown Disk

So yeah, I have no idea what to do now. I really hope I'm not going to have to reinstall. :/

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
"I can't get it to find my windows installation. It just says ... ". Recovery Console doesn't find Windows installation by itself. The normal mode of operation is that you are asked to specify the installation. Most computers have only one operating system installation and in this case you have to write 1 when asked for the installation. Next comes Password. Type your password or press Enter if you don't have any. Now a black, DOS-like screen will open up. At the command prompt type chkdsk /r and press enter (please note the space before /r). The command has 5 stages. Let the computer run uninterrapted to the end.

Please see if you can run Recovery Console as described above. If you can't, there is much less that we can do.

Plese boot to BIOS and see if your hard disks and drive are recognized there.

Marshmallow

Marshmallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
When you hit R for recovery console, it goes immediately to the black DOS-like screen. That's when I get the empty C prompt. Typing 1 just gives a "The command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands." I believe this screen normally has the installation listed for you, then prompts you to pick. (Reading this at http://forums.whatth...howtopic=95574)

I guess that's really neither here nor there, as it looks like the problem is that it's not recognizing my hard drive. In the BIOS, the IDE Primary Master and Slave both say None. When I enter on the Primary and try to do IDE HDD Auto-Detection it doesn't find anything. :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If the drives are not listed in the bios, then either there is a faulty IDE connector cable, or a faulty power supply to the drives, or the motherboard has a fault, OR the drive is faulty. I do not think both HDD`s will have gone, that is most unusual.
Check the connections.
If those are all secure, take out the drive carrying windows, taking the usual antistatic precautions and slave that drive to another computer, you may need to alter the jumpers on the drive to make it a slave drive, OR preferably put it in an external drive enclosure.
See if the drive will now open and are the files and programms there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 July 2010 - 06:54 AM.

Marshmallow

Marshmallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Reaching the end of my limited knowledge here. :) I opened up the case to poke around and realized it has a SATA hard drive. There's also just the one, I didn't mean to imply earlier that I had two. I don't have any other desktops around to test the drive on or cables to switch out. I was looking around for how I might test it with a laptop and came across a Seagate utility (the drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7) that allows for testing drives from a bootable CD-ROM. I ran this and it found 3 damaged sectors, which it repaired. It then passed the test.

I was hoping this would fix the problem, but still no luck. I'm confused about the BIOS now. Should the hard drive show in the IDE Primary Master field, even though it's not IDE? The only place I see any mention of SATA is a setting where SATA controllers are Enabled. I don't see anywhere else the HDD would show. (Motherboard is an Abit NF7-S)

I guess I'm kind of stuck until I can get my hands on another cable to test with, or a drive enclosure. Can the hard drive have passed the Seagate test and still be faulty? I was surprised it was even found by that program to begin with.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go back to Recovery Console.
At the C prompt type "chkdsk /r" without the colons and note space between chkdsk and /.
Then press enter.
Pls report results DO NONT INTERRUPT the chkdsk.
Sata drives will NOT show as IDE drives in the BIOS, so do not worry about that, lets see if the recovery console will run the chkdsk.
When you typed 1 at the c prompt it is inded a command that will not be recognised.
The typing of 1 is NOT at the C prompt, that is when you are asked "Which Windows installation to you want to etc." BEFORE you actually get to the C promt in the console.

Marshmallow

Marshmallow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was able to get the computer working again with some help from a friend, thanks for the help and replies. :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Can you post your resolution? I'm sure it would be helpful for someone that has the same problem.