Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 1505 Won't Start

• Please log in to reply

dyers18

dyers18

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop doesn't start up correctly.

When I press the power button, the dell screen flashes for a second then the screen goes black.
The NumLock, ShiftLock, and ScrollLock are on for a moment (about 15 seconds), then turn off, but the WiFi light stays on.
The computer stays on, but the screen is still black.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Try connecting another monitor, se if that produces the same result.

dyers18

dyers18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

My Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop doesn't start up correctly.

When I press the power button, the dell screen flashes for a second then the screen goes black.
The NumLock, ShiftLock, and ScrollLock are on for a moment (about 15 seconds), then turn off, but the WiFi light stays on.
The computer stays on, but the screen is still black.

Any ideas?

I ended up taking it to a computer repair shop. The back light was out, but cannot be repaired. Only solution was to order a new screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Be careful with this depending on how good the repair shop are, it could be the screen or it could be the inverter. An inverter is only about £15 and not hard to fit.
Try tapping Fn and F7 together that increases the brightness. Look carefully can you see the image, even if it fades again.
If you decide to try it post and I will send you the instructions for replacing the inverter and the buy link as well.
You can of course connect another monitor as per my earlier post and see if you then have the screen

Edited by Macboatmaster, 25 July 2010 - 11:45 AM.