Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Welcome Screen Frozen

• Please log in to reply

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I was trying to get on my computer last night and at first it would just go black when it should of been at the welcome screen.

After fiddling around doing different things at the beginning (safe mode, or not going thru with the file checks) it started to come up, but now it's absolutely frozen. If I place my mouse over any of the login names, it doesn't even go highlighted. Clicking on them does nothing...and this goes the same to the shut down button. Not sure what to do? Help please?

PS - I'm not great with computer technology words and etc. So try to explain as much as possible :)

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Please post the make and model and service tag number if applicable ie: if branded.
If generic do you have the XP CD.
When you first boot will it go to setup, normally F2 or delete, keep tapping the key after first post beep or screen.

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
well Windows XP and it's a samsung monitor...I don't know much about make so hope that helps. and I don't think i have the xp cd

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So I did F2 and it came up..clicked on Cosnole Recovery and it just says something about the boot file disk?
so went back..got to the welcome screen - one small improvement...it's stuck highlighted on my login account but thats it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate that you say you know litle about computers BUT is there a make and model on the computer case.
It is a desktop I presume or is it a Samsung laptop
Please take a little longer and answer those queries.
Please also post what is on the screen when you press F2 - exactly the details on the screen

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2010 - 11:55 AM.

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It is a desktop...and sorry I really don't understand what you mean by make and model - I assumed the Samsung is what you wanted. Where would I find that? Don't see anything else on the monitor, and nothing really on the tower...

Anyhoo, when I pressed F2 (whether it worked or not?) It goes black and says:
To select the operating system to start
Recovery Console
Windows XP Professional

Down below it says for troubleshooting and advanced setting press F8.

Once I click on Recovery Console it stays black with the grey words and comes up saying:

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

So I pressed the space bar and:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

I don't know what disk..so I just pressed Enter and it goes black.

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think I'll also mentioned what happened leading up to this.

I downloaded a Quickbook free trial from: http://www.intuit.ca...t-download.jsp Once downloaded, I realized it was too much space so I proceeded to delete it from the Control Panel. It was taking over an hour to do and froze up, my boyfriend told me to just restart and redelete it. So upon restarting my computer, I went to the Control Panel and it was gone so I assume it's completely deleted...

Also I downloaded two other Quickbook trials from other sites (not sure where exactly) but they just went into the download box (FireFox) and I didn't go thru with them.

A week after this, everytime I went to log in, I HAD to go thru the file check (blue screen) then friday night my stepdad went to go on and this is when the welcome screen just totally shut down and is where I am now...

Not sure if this helps..?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try pressing delete on first post, I am hoping that will get you into the setup screen

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Im not sure exactly what you mean by pressing delete on the first post? Like in this thread, or on the computer - where exactly tho?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The Delete key on the keyboard

TattooedChick

TattooedChick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah I pressed that..but when?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
see my post 2.
When you switch on just keep tapping the key.
On some computers it is F2 on some it is Delete, there are others where it is different. see this link
http://michaelsteven...anufacturer.htm
You say F2 got you to the Recovery Console which then reported NTLDR missing.
It MAYBE that it is not booting to the hard drive.
I presume there is NOT a CD in the drawer or a floppy in if you have one.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 July 2010 - 11:39 AM.