Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp wont load and keyboard wont work.

• Please log in to reply

pete robbo

pete robbo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hiya

well ive just done all my virus scans which found nothing and i did the windows disk cleanup, i also used the filehippo updater which found a new update for my nvidia graphics card so i installed that then i did the TFC cleanup programme which required a restart as usual. so i restarted it and it wont load now. it starts up as usual then shows an error page before the log on screen and then goes to a blank screen. i restarted again and i can do the f2 for run setup and f11 for boot menu, but if i leave it a screen comes up allowing me to do system restore or boot in safe mode or from last known good location, then when i try to chose an option my keyboard dusnt work, then when it goes onto blank screen it works again, i evan put the xp disk is but when it says press any key to load disk my keyboard dusnt work.. it is a usb keyboard becouse my p2p port (or whatever its called) stopped working when my computer messed up and i took it into a shop 2 be fixed and its been in 2 different shops since then to be rebooted and upgraded and i asked both to fix it but non did.
can you help please and thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Virus scans - from the Malware section or your own anti-virus and WHY in the first place.
Was it working before the Graphics card update.

pete robbo

pete robbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi.

i did the windows defender and windows malicious software scan. i also did the free avg and spybot search and destroy scan which i do every couple ov days or so.. they all worked as usual and found nothing so i closed them all and i found that i had the update for my graphics card so i installed it then it wanted to restart so i did the TFC cleaner thingy which always requires a restart. then i restarted my comi and everything seemed fine until it it got to the log in screen and restarted it self agen then it came up wit an error page and asked me if i wanted to load as normal or load from previous good location before any updates were installed. but my keyboard stops working on that screen so i cant choose any other option then the 1 its on which is (load as normal) so it does that but just goes to a black screen or restarts and goes through it all again. i also put the xp disk in but when it says press any key to load disk my keyboard loses power.
thanks for helping

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry about the delay in reply, the site was down and when it came back we could not find the topics for a bit.
Please supply details of your computer
Is it a laptop. if not is the keyboard usb or PS2.
Make and model if a branded machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 July 2010 - 12:50 PM.

pete robbo

pete robbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
heya

well its a pc not a laptop running on windows xp professional sevice pack 3, and its a made up tower so no make. the keyboard is a usb 1 becouse the ps2 port stopped working the last time it got a major virus and i had 2 take it into a shop 2 be re booted and its not worked since.

thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
sorry just read that on your first post - re keyboard.
Unplug ALL except keyboard mouse and monitor, if of course you have anything else connected.

pete robbo

pete robbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hi

i unplugged everything except usb keyboard and mouse and it didnt change anything, they still stop working when i need them..

pete robbo

pete robbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
heya thanks every 1 for your help its working now. the keyboard and monitor plug in back of tower were in the wrong place so i was plugging my keyboard into the monitor socket...