Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Sequence in Loop

• Please log in to reply

rwindrow

rwindrow

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an XP machine where the boot sequence is stuck in a loop. It comes up and asks you what OS you want to load and then repeats the sequence. I have reinstalled XP in place to no avail. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Couple of questions:

When it asks you which OS you want to boot from what choices do you have.

Did you just reinstall XP?

If you reinstalled XP did you erase the old XP (formatting the whole hard drive) or did you just install without reformating making it that your Hard Drive as 2 installation of the same XP on your Hard Drive maybe causing Windows not to know from which to boot from.

rwindrow

rwindrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did reinstall Windows XP in place and the behavior was the same. Both choices are identical, i.e Windows XP. I have tried them both and they both used to work. Nothing that I recall has been done to the machine. I turned it off at night and got this behavior when I turned it on in the morning.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
How many hard drives do you have?

rwindrow

rwindrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have two hard drives. The 2nd drive contains system backups.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
So if you really have 2 Windows XP installations they are both on the same Hard Drive (different partitions) and your other Hard Drive only as data no Windows Installation.

Read all this article:

http://www.askdaveta...ant_to_run.html

rwindrow

rwindrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The drive containing Windows only has one partition and both of the "choices" appear to load the same OS.

rwindrow

rwindrow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I should have said both "choices" seem to load the same OS back when it was working. Right now it is not getting as far as loading the OS. It is stuck in this loop I mentioned earlier.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Your MBR (Master Boot Record) is probably damage, if you have an XP cd try this to repair it:

http://helpdeskgeek....x-mbr-xp-vista/

Hope this will help

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I cannot add anything constructive but I'm watching this problem with interest as I had almost the same problem a few weeks ago.
I had shutdown my computer normally after a normal days running and at the next boot up it also went into a repeating boot cycle. I only had one O/S installed.
Tried everything, booting from original installation CD, running Chdsk /r all the usual stuff, nothing fixed it. Never got resolved. Had to re-format the HDD.

The odd thing was that running hardware tests on the drive showed no errors at all, it still tests as a perfectly sound HDD. No explanation as to why it happened and why it could not be resolved.