Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm having heating issues!

• Please log in to reply

Good_Apollo

Good_Apollo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So here's my modest build:

GPU
PSU
CPU
RAM
SOUND: Creative SB Live! Series
MOBO
CASE

Basically I noticed that when I was playing TF2, AOEIII, and a few other games I was getting complete freezes at random intervals of playing. Had to reboot when this happens and I figured it must be a heating problem because it's been unusually hot here in socal. I just need help diagnosing the problem and coming up with a solution.

So far I've tried using Speedfan but it appears that everything is already set to 100% already. Today I'm going to go to the store and buy aircans + new thermal paste and see if that makes any difference since it has been about a year since I've done that.

These are my idle temps as I type out this post:
Posted Image

The second I start up a game and start getting into it those temps jump up to this:

Posted Image

I don't know if these temps are ridiculous or if they get even higher when I play a game for more than 10 minutes as I did for this screenshot but there must be something wrong. I'll provide more info when I crack open the case later today and apply the paste and air dust it. Going to make sure all the fans are going since the major reason my old computer was overheating was because my 8800GT's fan died.

Somewhat unrelated but is it possible to get my 8800GT working again with a replacement fan or a third party fan? If so is it possible to SLi two different cards together? (Since I also have a 9800GTX+)

Advertisements

Good_Apollo

Good_Apollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Guess I have to bump this...

Oh yeah and switch those hot temps to this:

GPU: 96C
Core1: 69C
Core0: 67C
Core: 96C

Getting somehow worse...I checked the fans and they're running alright and I checked them out in EVGA Precision and Speedfan and they're all at 100% too. I have made zero hardware changes and nothing hardcore in the software department. So why is my computer exponentially heating up to these levels? Worst my GPU ever reached before this was something like 78C and I was freaking out at that...these new temps are ridiculous!

Edited by Good_Apollo, 23 July 2010 - 02:45 AM.

Good_Apollo

Good_Apollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Bump...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Good_Apollo
Have you cleaned out the case and memory slots yet?
It is not normally required to replace the TIM on the
CPU as it should last for a good few years, but if you
are going to replace it run the computer for a time 1st
this will soften the existing paste up & make it easier
to remove the heatsink, make sure you ground yourself
before touching anything inside the computer (touch a
bare metal part of the case).
Try turning the Automatic fan speed off & see if it makes
any difference, download & run this http://www.freewaref...gram_13538.html
Download & run this http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html
click on tools and then analysis & advice, you can generate
a report to either the desktop or print, this will highlight
any problems & make recommendations.
Below is a link to help you attach a new fan to your 8800GT
sorry can`t help you with the SLI info.
http://www.silentpcr...e769-page1.html

Good_Apollo

Good_Apollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Automatic fanspeeds are all off. I have everything running at 100% and I dusted, reapplied the TIM, and I took off the side of the case. I'm still getting ridiculous temps.

GPU idles at 42-44C, CPU cores both idle at 47-51C. The second I open an application those temps jump up 2-3C. When I boot up a game the GPU instantly jumps to about 67C with the cores at like 65C. During actual gameplay (Note that since the dusting/TIM application I haven't crashed yet) I still get temps of like 85C and 79C for the GPU/CPU respectively. That just seems too goddamn high, especially since I've never had temps this high before on this rig.

Also, since I cleaned out the computer, my internet connection will inexplicably stop working and I have to reach down and unplug the modem and router to get it up again. It's just the strangest thing that I'm suddenly having all these problems when just a week ago I was happily gaming away without a single problem in months.

Worth noting I guess is that after I dusted and everything I guess I didn't get the HSF on correctly and my CPU was operating at 95-99C for a few minutes when I turned it on. Luckily my Mobo warning siren went off and I quickly shut it down and reseated it...

Edited by Good_Apollo, 25 July 2010 - 12:37 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The CPU usage looks high for a computer that is not doing much, what have you
got running in the background (if anything).
Have you checked your system for Malware? http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
Did you download and run the Riva Tune & Sandra Lite software, doing this could
save you a lot of time & headache, simply uninstall them when you have finished
with them, if it does turn out to be malware you would need to start a thread in
the Malware Forum & provide the with a link to here so they know what steps you
have already carried out.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would also make sure the fans are spinning without any wobble in them and they are pointing the correct direction.
You should be taking air in from the front and out the back.
Take the side off the case for a while and check temps at that time.

The CPU usage looks high for a computer that is not doing much, what have you
got running in the background (if anything).

This is a good suggestion also.

Good_Apollo

Good_Apollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No there isn't any malware and the only things running are system proccesses and whatever application I'm using. Trust me I'm OCD about running proccesses and everything checks out.