Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ok quite a comoplicated one...

• Please log in to reply

ross616

ross616

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
was having a lot of win32 problems (file not found etc...) and i noticed that making a new profile fixed most of it, but on the old account i couldn't get into control panel to make my new account an admin so i thought if i deleted the admin account i could make my new one an admin so i went into command prompt and put in net user *username* \delete to get rid of the old one and it said command completed but its still there, it just has a new password that i obviously cant find out and when i try to change the password through command prompt it just says access denied, so i need to make my new account an admin so i can delete the other one properly, any way to do this?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Your post is not exactly crystal clear so bear with me.

Let me first of all make it quite clear, in the following text, I am not at any point referring to the default "Administrator" account which Windows Setup creates and which is for the most part hidden from all users.
I am referring to a user account with admin rights or labelled "Computer Administrator". I'll call it an admin account.

Before you can delete an admin account, if it's the only one, you must first create a new admin account.
You must be logged in to the existing admin account to create a new admin account.
Then, log off the original admin account and log on to the new admin account.
You should now be able to delete the original admin account in Control Panel.
Fancy command-prompt stuff is not necessary or even advisable when there's a comtrol-panel applet for doing the job.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 20 July 2010 - 07:50 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password (by default there is none unless someone put one manually) in the classic logon window that appears.

From the built-in Administrators account (just press enter if no passwords) you can manage all your other accounts.

ross616

ross616

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Your post is not exactly crystal clear so bear with me.

Let me first of all make it quite clear, in the following text, I am not at any point referring to the default "Administrator" account which Windows Setup creates and which is for the most part hidden from all users.
I am referring to a user account with admin rights or labelled "Computer Administrator". I'll call it an admin account.

Before you can delete an admin account, if it's the only one, you must first create a new admin account.
You must be logged in to the existing admin account to create a new admin account.
Then, log off the original admin account and log on to the new admin account.
You should now be able to delete the original admin account in Control Panel.
Fancy command-prompt stuff is not necessary or even advisable when there's a comtrol-panel applet for doing the job.

yeah thats the problem, i tried to delete the user but all it seems to have done is lock me out of it, and on the old account when i went into control panel and clicked users it came up "users is not a valid win32 application" and when i tried to run some things it cameup "rundll32 file not found" so i couldnt make it into an admin account, is there any way to do it from my new profile?

Edited by ross616, 20 July 2010 - 09:05 AM.

ross616

ross616

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
bump

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ross616

Sounds like you may have an active infection on that machine.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions found there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post the requested logs in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. Do not reply to or bump your own topic. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you haven't received help after waiting three days, you can post a link to your topic in The Waiting Room where it should be picked up by one of the experts quickly.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1