Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell inspiron 1521 motherboard fried- should I get a new one?

• Please log in to reply

epohhope2

epohhope2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i got my Dell inspiron 1521 in 2008 and it had the common problem of just shutting off and not turnig back on. we took it to a computer repair shop and they told us we needed a new motherboard. we put it away and just got it back out recently to see if it would work. I factory reset it and updated a lot of windows things and it worked great for 2 days. you have no idea how happy I was. then I put in a cd and downloaded yahoo music jukebox-- before getting any virus protection. well the computer froze up and shut off. I got it on long enough to half way install free avg on it, then it shut off again. i'm pretty much sure I need a new motherboard- but they are a bit expensive. I'm wondering if I should sell my Dell on eBay for parts and get a mac, or get a new motherboard. the thing is, i don't want to spend the money on a motherboard, then have it fry again. suggestions?

Edited by epohhope2, 19 July 2010 - 08:58 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
If a motherboard is fried it would not start at all, there might be something defective on it but like you said it started and worked great for 2 days so it is not fried just something wrong somewhere.

It might be a motherboard problem, a hardware conflict, a memory problem, a PSU problem and so on so before you throw it out make sure you have checked eveything.