Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS errors

• Please log in to reply

blinke

blinke

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello Everyone,

I've got an ASUS SK8N motherboard, I've changed the CMOS battery, clear the ram with power off/ unplugged and changing the jumper. I've checked that I've placed the battery in correctly and it has a voltage of 3volts.

I'm not really sure what else to do?

regards

blinke

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Is there any chance when you cleared the CMOS, you accidentally left the jumper on pins 2-3 of the CLRTC1 header?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And after you changed the battery and reset date and time, did you Save and Exit?

And note following Alzeimer to emphasise, you only momentarily (a second or two) move that jumper to short the two pins, then you are supposed to move it back. Shorting the two pins removes all power from the CMOS memory module, thus resetting any custom settings the CMOS module had saved for the BIOS.

blinke

blinke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Is there any chance when you cleared the CMOS, you accidentally left the jumper on pins 2-3 of the CLRTC1 header?

Well Alzeimer, not a chance it seems like it must be a motherboard issue

blinke

blinke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

And after you changed the battery and reset date and time, did you <u>Save</u> and Exit?

And note following Alzeimer to emphasise, you only momentarily (a second or two) move that jumper to short the two pins, then you are supposed to move it back. Shorting the two pins removes all power from the CMOS memory module, thus resetting any custom settings the CMOS module had saved for the BIOS.

Hello Sir and Alzeimer, first of all thanks for the input.

I'm pretty use I've done everything correctly, have even tried a different power supply thinking it might be defective but no go. Once reset has been done I of course go back into the BIOS and save the setting, on next power down the CMOS is lost again.

blinke

blinke

blinke

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

And after you changed the battery and reset date and time, did you <u>Save</u> and Exit?

Hello Sir and Alzeimer, first of all thanks for the input.

I'm pretty use I've done everything correctly, have even tried a different power supply thinking it might be defective but no go. Once reset has been done I of course go back into the BIOS and save the setting, on next power down the CMOS is lost again.

blinke

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
To add to, and re-affirm what has already been said.....
Jumpers need to be set on the proper pins.
CMOS battery needs to be 3.3 volts (3.o should be good).
Battery needs to be installed properly.
Save and exit out of the CMOS screen.

If all that is done and correct, then the only possible repair I know is the board. (I've replaced a few because of that)

FYI: The main PSU would not be the problem.