Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Saving passwords in FireFox 3.6

• Please log in to reply

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Previously when using Firefox I had it set up so it would remember login details and passwords for registered forums (like this one) that I subscribe to. When I registered for a new site or updated my password for an existing one I'd get a pop-up message asking if I wanted FF to remember the password or update to the new one.
I had to re-install FF and it no longer is doing this. I use the Xmarks plug-in and it's saving my bookmarks OK but not saving or asking for passwords.
When I re-stored FF Xmarks gave me all my bookmarks and passwords from previously but wont save new passwords anymore.

I'm not sure if I'd had some other plug-in installed last time that I've forgotten about and not installed now or if something has changed with Xmarks or FF.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Bump. Anyone? I'm now using Firefox 3.6.8 but still having issues with saving passwords. As an example even though I've told geekstogo to remember me it's still asking for full logon details each time and Firefox did not ask me if I wanted it to remember the new password when i first registered. Something it always used to do.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Mychael,

Can you please try this;
1. Go to Tools->Options->Security
2. Make sure "Remember passwords for sites" is checked.
3. Click "Exceptions", and see if any sites are listed in there.
4. If there are, delete them.
5. Close Options.

Hopefully this should work.

Thanks,
Taomech

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Hi Mychael,

Can you please try this;
1. Go to Tools->Options->Security
2. Make sure "Remember passwords for sites" is checked.
3. Click "Exceptions", and see if any sites are listed in there.
4. If there are, delete them.
5. Close Options.

Hopefully this should work.

Thanks,
Taomech

Thanks, but that was the first thing I checked. Everything is ticked as it should be and there are no exceptions.
Something has changed and I don't know what.
For example even though I tick the "remember me" box within this forum It still wont remember me.

On another site I use regularly i updated my password but Firefox has not altered it, I'm not getting the "remember" box to click on within FF. Cant say when it stopped working as I had not registered for any new sites for some time.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Mychael,
I'm running out of ideas now, but have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Thanks,
Taomech

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Mychael,
I'm running out of ideas now, but have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?
Also, have you tried reinstalling FF but not Xmarks?

Thanks,
Taomech

Edited by taomech, 26 July 2010 - 05:20 AM.

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Hi Mychael,
Also, have you tried reinstalling FF?

Thanks,
Taomech

I might have to try re-installing FF. I have it set to clear browsing Hx at shutdown but I've always had it set to do that so I don't think that's the problem. My Xmarks plug-in will let me restore bookmarks so a re-install should not be too painful.

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well I completely removed FF and re-installed. Only Add-on I put back in was Xmarks which restored all my bookmarks and older passwords but still not saving new logins and not giving me the 'remember password' pop up box.

Come on Geeks, where are all the experts here?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried uninstalling FF and installing it fresh and (without installing any addons) gone to a site, like this one, and see if it asks to save your password?

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
I tried completely removing/uninstalling FF, including all settings and preferences and then re-installing from a fresh download. I did put Xmarks back on to get all my bookmarks but that was the only add-on I initially installed and I'd been using it for ages, problem was still there. I could do it again and put nothing on and see what happens. I'll post back on that.

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
<<SOLVED >> By going into Tools > options >Privacy > Selecting "use custom settings for history" then unticking "automatically start Firefox in a private browesing session". Now back to asking to save passwords.

It must have been something FF did to me when it updated. So even though I had selected to "remember passwords" that other setting overrode it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad you figured it out and thanks for letting us know how you solved it! :)

Mychael

Mychael

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
No worries. I actually just asked a question in the FAQ section if there is a way to flag a post as "solved". So it shows as solved in the post heading.

Ps. Another clever bloke in another group helped me solve the problem.

Edited by Mychael, 02 August 2010 - 08:03 PM.