Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista laptop very slow to boot up and shut down

• Please log in to reply

nadmaj

nadmaj

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello

My laptop has become very slow recently when starting up from when the green bars going across the screen then a black screen is displayed for about 40 seconds and then the windows logo comes on and same when shutting down.

I've gond into startup and unticked all the irrelevant start up items.

Any other advice please.
Thanks

Advertisements

BrettM WinTeam

BrettM WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Check out these 2 sites. They should be able to give you all the information you need about improving your start up and shut down time!

http://ezinearticles...down&id=2846405

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Pcs365

Pcs365

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Now we understand that you have already unchecked all the irrelevant services running, However as you say your laptop still takes a long time to shutdown or restart... Now let us use different possible steps to optimize your laptop.

Step 1: Start- run- Type (%temp%)- enter delete all the files you will find...

Step 2: Start- run- Type (temp)- enter, Delete all the files there aswell as these two diff commands help you to clear all the unwanted files in your machine.

%temp%- Is for Internet temporary files, and only typing "TEMP" is for local machines temporary files.

Step 3: Run disk clean up, by going to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, and then click on Disk clean up which will bring up a small window for you choose what needs to cleant, select the appropriate section which has occupied more space and run the tool..

Step 4: Run disk defragmentor, by following the same path as above, and you should find the option right below the disk clean up, select it and run that tool aswell which will have your files in the hard drive sequentialy arranged.

Step 5: Go to start run- type(prefetch)- and delete all the files there as it is also again the cashe of your system..

Step 6: Disable unwanted applications: by going to start- run- msconfig, check which all are required and uncheck which ever is not required.

Step 7: Run Registry Cleaner

step 8: Disable unwanted services aswell at the same location that is in msconfig and carefully go through all the services running and then uncheck which ever is not required.
Please reply back if this worked!!!

Regards,
Yateesh Varma

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Pcs365,

Do not give advice to run a registry cleaner again. We do not advise the use of registry cleaners, ever. If you continue to offer this advise, I will suspend your posting privileges.

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Pcs365,

Do not give advice to run a registry cleaner again. We do not advise the use of registry cleaners, ever. If you continue to offer this advise, I will suspend your posting privileges.

why? does it work at all?

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Pcs365,

They can work fine for some people, but totally destroy a system if not used correctly. that is why no "good" help forums will recommend them. too much risk involved, one little wrong tweak, and your system is rendered useless.

nadmaj

nadmaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Pcs365,

They can work fine for some people, but totally destroy a system if not used correctly. that is why no "good" help forums will recommend them. too much risk involved, one little wrong tweak, and your system is rendered useless.

I've tried all ther suggestions but has made no difference to my computer - still slow to start up and shut down - any further assistance please.

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
oic

does anybody know how to get rid of pop ups at the desktop when the comupter starts up? i see windows live, magnifyer, and apple syncer i thnk its called pops up.
:)

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
You might make sure it is not malware related.

Start a new topic in the Malware forum, and after you know for sure your system is clean, then we can keep troubleshooting...

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

oic

does anybody know how to get rid of pop ups at the desktop when the comupter starts up? i see windows live, magnifyer, and apple syncer i thnk its called pops up.

Please don't hijack a thread like this... start a new thread and someone will be glad to help you.

coolguyace

coolguyace

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
the topic i started called Need Vista Assista! or something like that in the Windows Vista and Windows 7 category gave me answers. if anyone has the same problem i had check my other topic! :)