Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st time builder, help the noob please!

• Please log in to reply

cmtd

cmtd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey folks,

I am glad to join your forum, and start reading through everything to learn.

I am looking at possibly building my 1st computer and really would love some advice. I was recommended some parts by a friend, but would like to get more expert opinions.

I really don't play PC games, but rather use my PC for video/photo editing and I am somewhat heavy on multitasking. I do render xbox gameplay videos from a HD capture card. I was looking at buying either a Gateway FX6840-01e, or an Alienware Aurora. But thought I may get more bang for my buck and better quality components by going the self build route. I do want to run dual ~32" monitors with this setup.

So, I have assembled the following components for my first build. any comments or suggestions are dearly appreciated as this is my first go.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Memory:CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

Power Supply:CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Video Card:Palit NE3TS25EFHD02 GeForce GTS 250 E-Green 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Hard Drives:Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Drives:LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Case:Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OS:Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Again, any input you could offer would be great. I don't know if I am way off base here, or have the makings of a decent PC. I am looking at around $1370 for all this equipment.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Not sure what advice you need, but it sounds like one heck of a system you got laid out, to me... :)

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi cmtd, and welcome.

That's a nice looking system :)

Make sure you purchase thermal compound as well. It's one of those things that's implied when people make a list of parts, but I always like to make sure.

Nice choice with the PSU - I have the same one and like it. They give you some cable ties with the device which are necessary - the cables are very long.

I think you've covered all your bases - I don't have anything to add. Let us know how the build goes!

Good luck :)