Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search redirects/malware infection

• Please log in to reply

AMK2

AMK2

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello. I have a topic currently for my other laptop which runs Windows 7, this topic is for my laptop running Vista. This same problem is affecting my desktop running XP. I don't know if it has made it's way through all the computers via our home network or what. I am only running one computer at a time right now and keeping the others offline so I do't cause some circular reinfection or something. Honestly, I am frustrated. I have been working on my other laptop for quite a while now, multiple days and still the problem persists. I decided to move what I wanted to keep off my C drive on this computer to a different partition. I proceeded to format C and reinstall Windows this morning. I have used my driver disk to reinstall factory settings. I did install Avira and Spybot. Spybot finds nothing, Avira gives me something like 122 warnings, but no detections. After a reinstall I can only assume this must be a problem rooted in the boot somewhere.

I am online often throughout the day and can generally respond pretty quickly. I need help to sort this out, please.

So now to secure THIS system, where should I start at this point? I will still follow the topic for my other machine seperately, I don't want to undo anything being done over there. If there are any general instructions for cleaning the boot that would apply to all the machines, I will be VERY happy to get them all back under control.

Advertisements