Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowly losing my NIC

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Hi, i am running win XP pro 32-bit, vista home 32-bit and linux mint-64 bit. ive always had a decent machine (i built it myself about two years ago) and about probobaly six months ago, i decided to install this sabrent wireless N PCI card here. for a few months it worked great, on all my OS, including linux, which picked it up without any driver on my side. but maybe a month to a month and a half ago, it started taking a long time to connect to my d-link N router. i know d-link isnt a choice brand for many, but it has always got the job done and my other laptop can connect just fine, and it honestly seems like its not finding the network that takes forever, its finding the NIC thats the problem (thats why i posted this under components instead of networking).now i just installed vista in the last month, and the first two or three times it started fine, but then started taking awhile to find the nic like the rest. i know i should be patient, but it can sometimes take up to 5-10 minutes, and when i do connect i have to retype my password to get into my network. Any suggetsions, or do you think my card was a deal too good to be true? Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this the same system as you are receiving help in this topic HERE?

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
No, sorry i didnt make that clear, this one is my primary setup, you can see the basic specs of it on my profile page. now, i do know that i have never updated my BIOS, my board has a horrible update software that i am honestly scared to use, as i tried to do it once and almost messed up my bios, and if i do that, i wouldnt know how to flash it back. But i dont think that would be the problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

No, sorry i didnt make that clear, this one is my primary setup, you can see the basic specs of it on my profile page. now, i do know that i have never updated my BIOS, my board has a horrible update software that i am honestly scared to use, as i tried to do it once and almost messed up my bios, and if i do that, i wouldnt know how to flash it back. But i dont think that would be the problem.

I don't think the issue is your bios. You may just have a nic failing.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
yeah, thats what i figued, and it wasnt super expensive and does alot, so i guess i should have seen it coming.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nah you can buy a 10\100 baseT card now for as little as 10 USD depending on the brand name you want.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
well, what do you reccomend? i mean this one didnt have bad reviews, BUT it was from a brand i wasnt familiar with. i normally like rosewill, but there are so many brands out there, i dont knbow which is good. i heard cisco/linksys is the best for networking, but i dont think i can offord those.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
also, i prefer PCI or PCIe, so nothing is hanging off my computer (besides anttenas).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you looking to have a wireless nic?

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
oh, yes sorry, i have to have wireless. i prefer N, like my router, but i only have DSL, so im not sure if i would really lose any speed with a G nic.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TigerDirect

NewEgg

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thank you. do you have a personal brand you like or suggestion?

And could you explain the difference of pci, and 32-bit pci? and maybe how to tell which you can have.

Edited by drmoneejd, 22 July 2010 - 07:23 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Netgear or linksys would be my choice but they usually will be the most expensive.
All pci are 32 bit and the newer ones can do 64 bit.
Unless you have one of the first pci based motherboards you should have no problems with a 32bit pci card.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
thank you very much, you have been quite a help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. Please let us know if you have anymore questions.
When you have everything let us know how things end up.