Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building Budget Gamer

• Please log in to reply

ph0cuz

ph0cuz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello gang, hoping for a little feedback on this system as far as functionality / compatibility goes. Realistically just looking to run WoW decently maybe starcraft 2, but for the most part i just want an all around solid base.

Motherboard

This is my only undecided point so far, psu + case.
PSU, Cheaper
+
Case, Cheaper setup

Or

PSU + Case Combo

Case Fan

CPU Fan

Reason for a smaller HD is because its cheap, and I don't need much storage.
HD

RAM

Sound Card

Video Card

As a first time builder I'm just looking for a little reassurance that I havn't missed anything, as far as parts, trying to build a complete PC. Also compatibility, I spent hours swapping parts and checking compatibilities, but I want to know I didn't make some sort of beginner mistake and end up with a nonfunctional and useless part. I'm not looking for a computer that can video edit, run the newest games on the highest settings, I just want a comfortable music and gaming machine.

Thank you

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Greetings ph0cuz, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

You've covered your bases pretty well - this should be a decent home PC.

A few things you should consider:

(1) You have selected an OEM hard drive. OEM drives do not include SATA cables, screws, etc. You need to purchase a SATA cable for this drive so that it can communicate with the motherboard. However, some motherboards come with a few SATA cables automatically - I know mine did. I didn't see it listed on Tiger Direct, so it's hard to say, but I'm not sure that board comes with cables already. If you have a store near you, it may be worth your while to have a look at the box first - retailers don't always post full details on the web.

(2) Your motherboard comes packaged with an AMD processor. As you know, the processor will not come packaged with a CPU fan. After reviewing the product pages for both the Motherboard/CPU combo and the CPU fan, there was no mention of thermal paste. You need to apply about a pea size amount of thermal paste between the top of the CPU and the heatsink. They might give you a small amount of paste in the box, but like I said, I don't see that mentioned on the website.

(3) What about CD/DVD drives? I could have missed it, but I did not see any of those. (Remember, if you get an OEM drive, you need to purchase a SATA cable, unless your motherboard comes with a few)

(4) Which operating system will you use? Do you have a legit copy and license for this new pc?

Let us know what you find out. Good luck! :)

Edited by Facedown98, 25 July 2010 - 10:15 AM.