Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

A read disk error ocurred

• Please log in to reply

sgome31

sgome31

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have a computer that it loaded up with a message. "operating system not found" i ordered new system restore disk from gateway to re-install my system. when i followed all of the prosses, a message came up. "a read disk error ocured press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" So i did a test on my HDD and it woas working just fine. I decided to buy another HDD just to chek and make sure that it wasnt that, but i keep getting the same message after running the restore disk. i have changed the red cable behind the HDD but still no luck. What else can i check?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Since you mentioned a Red Cable I assume your HD is a SATA drive correct?
have you tried a different SATA port to see if it will work?

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 July 2010 - 02:27 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Things to check:

Is your Hard Drive set in your boot order either first or second boot, if you have your cd-rom and floppy before your hard drive then your Bios will get to your hard drive but if your have removable device or any other boot before your hard drive it will probably stop at this boot and not look for your hard drive and give you the error message.

When you tried to install your OS again did you put your CD-Rom as first boot then your hard drive as second.

And as mentioned earlier did you try another Sata Port

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i Tried Three diferent cables that i am positive that work. i have tried connecting it to deiferent ports on the mother board and still no luck.my boot order is set to HDD first and then cd rom drive second.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I appreciate everybodys help but i finally got it to work. i took out the battery on the motherboard to reset everything and it worked.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully you set the Date and Time so that there are no issues with the software you have installed?
Glad to hear the issue was with the bios and a simple reset put everything back to a workable order for you.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
all my software runs perfect but after i was able to complete my system restore with the cds, it takes a long time to turn on to the main screen and when i try to turn off the computer it dosent turn off. it gets stuck on the " shutting down" screen. it took 10 minutes for the computer to load up to the desktop when i turned it on today and it wont turn off unless i press the button for it to turn off. what can be causing this?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like either a disk problem or a System File problem. So lets check them and see if it resolves itself.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

If this doesn't resolve it then proceed to the below instructions.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i tried to turn on my computer but now it just goes to a black screen. it dosent do anything at all. i dont even get to see the windows logo when its loading.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any post beeps, hd spinning up any noise at all from the system?

Advertisements

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
no there is no beeps i can hear the hdd running and the cd rom drive opens and everything. i tryed to do another reformat with the cd but it just hangs on the screen for hours doing nothing. it loads up the screen were i can select bios options and then it goes a screen with white letters were its checking stuff. it stays on that screen for like a minute or so and then after it says exiting nvram it just goes black.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can get into the bios does it see the HD there?

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Have you made sure the monitor is working correctly?
It may be a failing or failed motherboard and the disk read error was just the first sign of a problem.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yea i checked the monitor with another computer and it works just fine. the hdd is listed in the bios when i go in there to check it out. if i change the mother board on the computer, is there a chance that the procesor may also be out beacuse of that issue? and how do you know if the processor is not working anymore?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before going thru all that I would suggest a bench testing check first.
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i apreciate your help with everything but i dont think that its worth all that to fix this computer. its an older computer so i may just take out some parts out from it.