Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How hot should a processor run?

• Please log in to reply

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello!
I just built a computer and everything is running ok. My main problem is how hot my processor is running! Its a Core i3 and the heat ranges from 61-91 Celsius. I know that a processer shouldn't go up to 91C! So how hot should my processor be running? I'm using the fan Intel gave me. It did have heatsink already on it, but not a lot. Another question I have is should I return it to Intel or just buy a new cooling fan?

This is the computer I built:
ASUS P7P55 SuperComputer
Intel Core i3 @ 2.93 Ghz.
1gb of DDR3 RAM (1600)
300 Watt Power Supply
ATI Radeon x700 Graphics Card
320gb SATA drive

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Advertisements

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Depending on the type of processor, the manufacturer, how fast it runs, where the sensor is located, and what programs it is currently running will determine the temperature of what the processor should be. The majority of today's desktop processors should not exceed temperatures of 95C and most will run between 70-90C. With the range you have given you have no reason to be alarmed as it is well within the normal operating range.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
The other thing you should look at is your power supply. 300 watts is a little slim, even if it falls within the range of a PSU calculator. I would suggest bumping up to at least 400W if you want to do any future upgrading.

Another quick point- 1 GB RAM? That's a wee bit slim. If you want to do any legitimate processing you're going to need at least 2 GB. Even if it is high-end DDR3, 1 GB isn't going to be enough to run Windows 7 with any decency.

I know money might be a concern, but in the long run, it helps to buy slightly-higher end parts, rather than breaking or RMA-ing cheap 'deals'.

Hope that helps! :)

Peptobismol165

Peptobismol165

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Well I fixed my problem. I applied some more Heatsink and now my processor runs fine!