Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not boot- GMER killed it.

• Please log in to reply

Lard

Lard

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I've been having a consistent problem with a virus for about the past....three weeks or so. One of those things that pops up and pretends to be a virus program and tries to get you to buy it. I've tried, repeatedly to get rid of it, but I can't, even using the GTG standard virus removal protocol. It keeps coming back. So, I came a couple of days ago to post a topic. GTG was down and redirected me to whatthetech.com. I did some stuff for them, running Hijack This, DDS and a program called GMER. I tried running GMER twice, using the specifications they gave me, and both times it froze my computer completely so I had to reboot. The tech guy said try running it in safe mode, which I did. Except while running it in safe mode, I couldn't get a log to pop up. Frustrated, because the tech guy kept insisting I use GMER, I tried running GMER again in regular mode this morning and once again, it froze my computer. So I shut down, and tried to reboot. Now though, I can't get the computer to boot. It starts up, says it's

Advertisements

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
it won't boot at all. I start up the computer, it says it's going to load XP, goes into a black screen and just hangs. I have *no* idea what's happened - I'm assuming rebooting while running GMER has killed it, but I don't know how to fix it or what to do. I don't have a copy of XP I can use to reinstall either, so if I need to do that, I am totally screwed. I also tried booting in safe mode, and it will not boot in safe mode either. Also, I apologise for the double post - I'm typing from my PS3 and it would only let me make a message of a certain length. I am in desperate need of help because I'm supposed to be registering for classes. Any help is appreciated.

kurt. united kingdom

kurt. united kingdom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi lard what pc do u have there and whats the operating sys ?

kurt. united kingdom

kurt. united kingdom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
soz mate i see its xp.can u enter the bios to see if your comp has a hidden partition that you can boot from if so main and enable sata

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

soz mate i see its xp.can u enter the bios to see if your comp has a hidden partition that you can boot from if so main and enable sata

Can you tell me how to do that please?

Lard

Lard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Can you tell me how to do that please?

Could SOMEONE help me? It's been four days........

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Kind of hard to help when you have supplied no information on the system.
Desktop or laptop
Name brand or custom built
If name brand then what make and model
If custom built what is the make and model of the motherboard.
Do you have a XP full installation disk?
If not what do you have. Recovery, upgrade or a burned copy?

kurt. united kingdom

kurt. united kingdom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hi buddy,we ddo need to know your system specs so we can help.
when booting you should get the option to hit a f key to take you to bios screen,
messege me once your in that screen and you can read me through your options so i can see if you do have a hidden partion or a sata drive or if you will need to boot from os disk.
thanx kurt.ps dont forget SYSTEM OS AND MORE INFO.It will make it more possible to assist.thanx kurt.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All assistance must be given in the topic. No pm assistance is given.
Others can benefit from the advice given and per the TOU assistance is only given in the topic and none through emails, pm's, phone or personal onsite.

kurt. united kingdom

kurt. united kingdom

• Pip
  • 5 posts

All assistance must be given in the topic. No pm assistance is given.
Others can benefit from the advice given and per the TOU assistance is only given in the topic and none through emails, pm's, phone or personal onsite.

with regards to rshaffer 61.eh.?? no comprendai.??????? excuse my arogance what pm????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I am curious if you have resolved any of the following other topics you created? Because this could all be related.

No response back http://www.geekstogo...44#entry1861844
No response back http://www.geekstogo...31#entry1833231
No response back http://www.geekstogo...09#entry1833209

I also tried booting in safe mode, and it will not boot in safe mode either

Are you able to access the safe mode area (F8)?
If so, Have you tried "last known good configuration"?

kurt. united kingdom
Rshaffer61 is referring to

messege me once your in that screen and you can read me through your options so i can see if you do have a hidden partion or a sata drive or if you will need to boot from os disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks again 123Runner and you are correct. It looked like kurt you were offering to help via private messaging which is not allowed.