Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death...reboot loop

• Please log in to reply

wakwak

wakwak

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgive me for being an amateur with computers. I tried to look in that pinned topic up at the forum and just got really confused.

I'm running Windows XP Home edition (Service Pack 3) on my laptop. I've had this laptop for 4 years and not many problems aside from the odd overheating, reboot. I haven't had to change or upgrade any parts. I haven't had to reformat either.

Earlier this week, I was in hoping to get some suspicious stuff cleaned out. I suddenly had a pop up problem, and iexplore.exe running as system, which I never noticed before. I seem to have encountered some Windows problems/reboot problems recently/now since we started that process (not sure if it's related. I've heard this is a feature with IE8 - not that I use it).

I ran some a temp file cleaner, TFC, it told me to reboot, it actually went into this reboot loop. This has never happened before, so I was pretty freaked out. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but the blue screen would pop up... and SOMETIMES I would see the "IRQL not less or equal" thing literally for one sec ...and a bunch of stuff underneath it really quickly... then a reboot. After it rebooted, it kept on rebooting maybe two more times but eventually it would load, but VERY VERY VERY slowly.

Yesterday evening, we had a quick power-jump due to a rain storm and my computer made a strange lowish beep (probably a power thing, but it's different from the usual beep when I unplug my computer). My computer then shut down shortly afterward. I tried to reboot it and then it went into this reboot loop again, blue screen (same 'not less or equal' message), almost 3-4 times. So eventually, I had to run into safe mode to backup some of my important stuff in case I never get back on. Afterward, I tried to log in normal and I got the blue screen again, same message. Then I loaded the 'last known good configuration' (which is now) and got on the net to see how to trouble shoot this problem.

NOTE: that everytime I log in normal, I manage to see the desktop after putting in my password. My wallpaper loads, but then the system just sorta goes into overdrive then blue screen, shut down. [Does the system shut down after things don't load?]

To be honest, these string of problems just all came at once. i.e. iexplorer.exe suddenly running as system (i honestly have never seen it run so often, nor do I really use it), then i got pop-ups. The pop-up first showed up when I was playing Starcraft on my friend's wireless network. I usually have Symantic Live watch running, so I don't know where this came from. So i downloaded Ad-Adware 2008 and hijack this (which I didn't get a chance to use). I ran CCleaner, Ad-Adware and didn't find much and neither did my Symantec AV catch anything. I also tried a ESET online.

I know I should consider a reformat but I don't have a CD or CD Rom. When I bought this laptop new, Windows XP Home Ed. was already installed. I have the product key sticker still stuck on my laptop, but I was never provided with a boot CD. My CD rom is also out of commission right now.

I was told to check the event logs and find the "x"ed out ones ..

These two were at the same time:

Error code 1000000a, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 804ff92a.

The server {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I had a slew of them at another time:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
Lbd
SASKUTIL

The Stuffit Archive Name Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

The Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

There were a few more that were similar.

I called one of my cousins and he said to post a minidump file because that's what he did last time. However, I have no clue how to do that.

Is there anything else I need? I'm running fine with "Last Known Good Configuration" safeboot. Does it mean everything is fixed?!

Edited by wakwak, 23 July 2010 - 04:22 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are many points here. CCleaner is OK but it involves a registry cleaner, that aspect of it is NOT OK and you should on no account whatever problems you have use any registry cleaner, registry booster or any similar programme. You will without doubt, cause more problems than you solve.
Right click the hard drive carrying Windows in My Computer. Click Properties, click Tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check box automatically fix file system errors, click start, you will receive a message to reschedule for next restart. Do so, in safe mode and do not interrupt.
Pls report back when complete and download this and copy and paste as text file and then attach to next post. ENSURE you delete personal data and any product keys.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 24 July 2010 - 07:20 AM.

wakwak

wakwak

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I understand.
I left my laptop at work and I won't have it back until next Wednesday. I'll report back ASAP.
I need to find the time to back up my stuff as well. Let's hope the laptop starts up again on Wednesday.

Edited by wakwak, 24 July 2010 - 05:16 PM.