Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Protection

• Please log in to reply

daic

daic

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
If you were going to buy PC Protection, such as AVIRA Pro, AD-Aware PRO, etc., which program combination's would be a good buy for anti-virus/spyware/malware?

Hoping to narrow down the free-ware programs used, that perhaps a bought one could handle multiple.

Any suggestions?

Currently using : AVIRA Antivir Personal, Spywareguard, Ad-Aware Free, Spywareblaster, Spybot: Search and Destroy.

Want to see if anyone had a good experience with a program that seemed to cover what the free-ware is covering now.

-cheers
~daic

EDIT :: Trying to get a program that has Anti-Virus/Spyware/Maleware scanner in the program, instead of having to use a couple for the scan.

Edited by daic, 23 July 2010 - 11:32 PM.

Advertisements

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Are you thinking just freeware or full purchased versions as well.?
Microsoft Security essentials is free and will run on XP SP3 upwards.
Kaspersky rates pretty well as a complete internet/anti-virus package.
Malwarebytes has both free and full versions and works pretty good.

I've used all 3 on my XP machine and been happy with their performance. You'll get as many opinions as there are choices. Everyone preferences are different.

Edit : Only full version Kaspersky is the closest thing I know of to an all in one package, it will run fine alongside Microsoft Security essentials. Well has for me anyway.

Edited by Mychael, 24 July 2010 - 01:09 AM.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for your input Mychael :)

~cheers

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Can anyone recommend a malware/spyware cleaner? (Or even just a malware cleaner)

~cheers
-daic

Mychael

Mychael

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
SuperAntiSpyware (new one to me, just installed it myself) has free and paid versions. Malwarebytes has free and paid versions.

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I would save my money and go with Free antivirus(Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials), I think for normal use they do the job. Malwarebytes is my choice for malware, again free version.

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply, rosiesdad

I have seen from many programs that the biggest things you get for the payed program is mostly active support from their techs.

I have been trying IObit 360 Security (along with my other freeware), and it seems like a decent addition for protection.

Seems Spybot and Ad-aware are outdated, i have seen that Ad-Aware could be replaced with what i have but have seen Spybot pick up on things Ad-Aware and Avira did not pick up (small things of course, nothing major).

Am thinking of dropping Ad-Aware from system, seems what i have installed is covering what Ad-Aware can do.

-cheers-
~daic~

daic

daic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Decided on trying AVG Internet Security, with WinPatrol (Free), Spywareblaster (Free), and Malwarebytes (Free) and will go from there depending in preferences.

Again, thanks much for your input everyone

~cheers~
-daic-