Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection and Internet

• Please log in to reply

ILoveIT

ILoveIT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello World :)

I connected my friend's work laptop to his home wireless network so that he could use the Internet. The wireless connection was perfect but he could not surf the web. I tried to disable the firewall hoping that could help, but it didn't. So I unchecked the proxy server box under LAN settings in IE's options menu. This made everything work.

1) I'm unsure why I had to do this?
2) Also will this affect my friend's laptop from using his work network or does he have to always enable proxy server when he uses his laptop at work?

Hopefully someone can help me with this. Thanks

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello ILoveIT,

I'll just give some quick and prompt answers to your questions. :)

1) Because his network is not using a proxy server. The computer tries to connect through the proxy (which isn't there) and so the internet connection won't work.
2) It is possible that he will have to switch between the ON and OFF setting of the proxy server settings between work and home situations. IF they use a Proxy Server at his work he will have to enable the proxy server setting to be able to browse the internet at work.

I hope this helps :)

Regards,
Olrik