Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Opinions on and question about a new system

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
I'd appreciate some advice.

It is time for me to replace my current system. However, the days of my building my own systems are in the past, other than adding a few peripherals. So I want to purchase a pre-built system. I've been looking at this system:

http://www.newegg.co...3244&Tpk=am3300

Other than what's already in the system, I want to add two PCI cards for a phone modem and a wireless NIC. I also have a portable USB hard drive that, when I connect it to the system, will draw its power entirely from USB (it does not have an external power source). With this in mind, the thing that concerns me about the pre-built system is that it has only a 300w power supply.

Do you think I should be concerned by the power supply? And instead look for a system with a more powerful power supply?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Those add-ons will not be a problem for the PSU. The PCI devices will not draw much power (almost certainly under 10W), and a USB 2.0 port can only draw 2.5W at most.

Edited by stettybet0, 24 July 2010 - 03:05 PM.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Thank you for you input, stettybet0!!