Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IRQL not less or equal when installing XP

• Please log in to reply

jcrew

jcrew

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I building a new system but recycling some componants from my last PC. I am using my old HDD, Video card, 2 DVD drives and power supply. When I started it up, I was getting a blue screen x07E error code. I was able to start it in safe mode.

I tried reformating the hard drive and doing a fresh install of XP. Now, I get a IRQL not less or equal during the instalation when its installing drivers.

I've checked my RAM and video card and they are secure.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

New Specs: Old Specs:
AMD Phenom II x6 Intel pentium 4
MSI 890FXA-GD70 MSI motherboard
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
2x 2gb RAM 2x 1gb RAM
480 watt power supply 480 watt power supply
DVD ROM DVD ROM
DVD ROM/RAM DVD ROM/RAM

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
7e and IRQ errors usually point to a hardware problem. Hopefully you do realize that you need DDR3 memory for the AMD motherboard. You did not specify. You also may have a problem if you are using a Nvidia card that does not have the GDDR3 memory to go along with the AMD board and CPU. Early 8800 cards used different memory i think. It seems i installed a SLI setup for a customer, that did not have GDDR3, a while back.

Also by being able to start in safe mode, it would tend for me to think the problem lies in the Nvidia card.Are you trying to run the system in 64 bit? Although it usually does not, it could cause problems with the Nvidia card drivers.

Something else may be that the power supply is just not up to the job on power anymore. I just had a cheapie Ultra PS rated at 500 watts that caused all sorts of problems when i tried installing Win 7. I switched to a PC Power&cooling PS and the problems went away.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 24 July 2010 - 06:57 PM.