Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect On XP Laptop After Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
After upgrading router firmware (linksys WRT54GS router) can't connect to XP laptop but can connect to Win 7 laptop.

Have a Win 7 desktop, a Win 7 laptop, and an XP laptop with the wireless router.

Connected to XP this morning ... upgraded in afternoon (just turned XP laptop off) .... but when I 'powered on' XP laptop, could not longer connect. Sounds like a firmware problem (obviously) but router is out of warranty now so linksys won't talk to me.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello 911pchelp,

Did you download the latest firmware?
Did you make a backup like recommended in the firmware upgrade process?

Regards,
Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Nevermind. I see that you resolved your issue in this (duplicate) topic.
http://www.geekstogo...-after-upgrade/

Regards,
Olrik

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Thank you Artellos

Yes to both questions

I feel somewhat guilty - laptop finally did connect - WHY? - don't know ... I 'fiddled' with the Windows network settings (NOT changing anything - just looking). Apparently, just accessing the settings (maybe just exercising the programing paths) 're-enforced' something and the connection completed.

Sorry to 'cry wolf' - but it was a valid issue for a couple of days.

Bottom line - this problem is RESOLVED

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thank you for posting back that your issue is resolved. :)

Remember that if this situation happens again you can always use the backup created in the process, and simply revert the router back to the old firmware.

Also, when you upgrade your firmware of your router, 99.9% of the time, you will have to do a 'power cycle'.

To do this, do the following:
  • Turn off all computers connected to the router.
  • Unplug the power cords from the back of the modem and from the back of the router.
  • Wait at least five minutes.
  • Plug the power cord into the modem and wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Plug the power cord into the router and, again, wait at least one minute for it to initialize.
  • Power on one computer and try to connect to the Internet with it.
  • If the first computer can connect to the Internet, then you can start turning on the other computers, one by one, and checking their Internet connections.

Regards,
Olrik