Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup: Black Screen, Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply

lebatte

lebatte

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I seem to have exactly the same problem with my machine as this guy did: http://www.geekstogo...th-blank-screen

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. I've run Diagnostics with no errors, booted from XP CD to try bootcfg /rebuild, fixboot & fixmbr, and the lengthy chkdsk /r, all to no avail. I've even tried replacing the NTLDR files by copying them from the XP CD. Nothing has worked; I still have a black screen with a flashing cursor when my HDD should be loading. I've tried removing and reinserting the HDD itself, also to no avail. I haven't yet opened the case up to try to see if there's anything to clean or any botched connections, but I don't see how something like that would have happened on its own.

Any more advice?

I should also clarify that all of my components (RAM, HDD, Video Card, Processor, etc.) seem to be recognized.

Actually, when I try chkdsk /r, the progress flies to 25%, slows down, and then gets up to 51% and doesn't move past it for as long as I've waited. Could this is a hardware issue? The HDD is relatively new and I'd be surprised if it kicked the bucket only months after installation.

I've also found this in response to a similar problem:

Since you have a D610 and I notice that you said you had changed the hard drive. If your hard drive is > 137G, XP SP1+ would allow you to create an partition >137G and install without complain. However, when some of its boot data (most likely the swap file) pushed pass 137G, your PC would not boot any more. The pre D610 A06 BIOS definitely do not support LBA48 and there are contradict info whether A06 BIOS does, so your best bet is to keep your partition size under 137G, and use multiple partitions.

I do indeed have a 160gb HDD. Can someone explain to me how I could go about applying this solution? I'm not sure how to create partitions in a way that will allow me to keep my main partition under 137gb. At this point, I'll do anything to retrieve my data (lots of in-progress song recordings).

Edited by lebatte, 24 July 2010 - 10:38 PM.

Advertisements

lebatte

lebatte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm starting to believe that the >137gb problem is my situation. I was hovering right around that, and then I downloaded a lossless album (that I legally own) and all of this trouble started when I restarted. Is there any way to ensure that the boot data is in the first 137gb? How would you go about solving that problem and being able to boot? I need to at least boot up once so I can transfer my data to an external drive.