Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Re-installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Kosta Kondratenko

Kosta Kondratenko

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
So my computer (HP Laptop) is running extremely slow and I want to re-install Windows XP and start with a new slate. The problem however is that I don't have the Windows XP original disc, probably lost it or whatever.

Anyway at the bottom of the HP Laptop there is a Windows XP Professional serial key. So I was wondering if it is possible to download Windows XP somewhere and just type in the serial code?

My computer is at a snail's pace and I was hoping to also make sure it never succumbs to viruses again.

Any advice appreciated

Regards
Kosta
http://www.headstudios.com.au

Advertisements

rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
First see if you have a restore partition on the hard drive. In the owners manual for your HP (try online if you dont have a paper one) see if there is any mention of one. It will provide instructions.
Then if not, contact HP and see if you can get a XP cd. It probably would be at a very reduced price.