Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how do i repair a "<windows root>\system32\hal.d

• Please log in to reply

jeru3901

jeru3901

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I try to boot up my pc I get the following error: "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupt. Please reinstall it.". I have tried to use my factory Dell/Windows XP reinstall disc to do a repair install of XP but it tells me "The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system. To continue installing Windows, Setup must format this partition. Caution: formatting will delete any files on the partition." I also have tried the "expand d:\i386\hal.dll_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll" fix I saw on this site but it tells me: "Access is denied." Im @ my wits end and would like to know what else I can do short of taking it to a pro to be fixed. I have important info on my hard disk otherwise i would just reinstall XP entirely. Can someone- anyone PLEASE help me?!?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Some good reading on this.

http://www.kellys-ko...dll_missing.htm

A dell recovery CD is usually made of a DDO type install so it can add programs to the restore.

HAL is Microsoft's abbreviation for the Hardware Abstraction Layer, the technology and drivers that let the XP operating systems communicate with your PC's hardware.

Additional causes fro a Hal.dll error may include a damaged or missing boot.ini file or possibly a physically damaged hard drive.

1. Boot to Windows XP Safe Mode With Command Prompt.

http://pcsupport.abo...afemodecpxp.htm

2. At the Command Prompt, type C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter.
3. Follow the instructions given to perform the System Restore process.

How To Restore Hal.dll From the Windows XP CD

http://pcsupport.abo...storehaldll.htm

Beyond this i would remove the drive, install a new drive in the computer, then reinstall XP on the new drive. The dell recovery CD may not let you do this. Then you can install the old drive in the computer as a secondary drive so you can get the data you want to save off of it.

If you are running SATA drives you will need a different method to save the data off the old drive. I use a external enclosure to do this.

SRx660

jeru3901

jeru3901

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm off tomorrow Ill try it out then and Ill post how it works out.