Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

DVD work in "DOS", not in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here is my situation.

Our family is using a DELL Dimension 3100 computer that came with Windows XP Home Edition.
Everything working pretty fine, except for the last couple of weeks, the annoying «Windows cannot find your profile...» message.

Then on July 24th I log on around 3:00PM and I noticed that the icon in the Quick Launch Bar were being changed randomly. The WORD icon would change to a green arrow...

3:30PM Restart the computer. Fearing a virus, I wanted to upgrade Norton 360... Could not access the «Shopping cart» on Symantec website.
3:45PM Decide to reinstall Norton 360 from CD... The drive is not listed in Windows Explorer. I go to computer management, the hardware is showing a yellow exclamation point (!). I click to update the drivers, the current drivers are the latest one.
4:15PM The icon are all changed, yet again...
4:20PM Restart the computer... BLUE SCREEN !!! The only non-gibberish word I can decipher/use is «BAD_POOL_HEADER»
4:25PM Restart the computer... ditto:same BLUE SCREEN

I have now tried to reinstall/repair WINDOWS from the DELL restore CD.
Works like a charm... in the Dos-type environment that takes care of installation...
Then the computer needs to restart...
It loads the incomplete Windows XP that now needs to «Install» as such...
But it needs files on the CD...
Which is now unavailable, because it's not in the DOS-type environment anymore...

Help !!