Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Zero-Write New Transcend 500GB External HD?

• Please log in to reply

Manny Avatar

Manny Avatar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Like the topic says really... is it safe to a delete a factory partition and bundled software on a brand new 500GB Transcend external HD Model TS500GSJ25D3. I have removed their software before with no problems on small 1GB flash drives... but this is much newer, it actually looks like it has an OS in there!

Space is currently partitioned:

F: 78.1 GB (Freaky folders and apparently unnecessary stuff...)
G: 387 GB (Delicious free space... what I brought it for...)

On F currently (factory default):

\$RECYCLE.BIN
\WINDOWS\ (498MB)
\boot.ini
\bootfont.bin
\NTDETECT.COM
\ntldr

I do not intend to use it as a boot drive, only media storage, but... even if I was using it as a bootable drive, why would I need 78 GB of space!?!! It looks like they are doing this so I have to buy 2 drives not one!

Question is:

Can I safely use Computer Management to "mash" this all into one drive, do a zero-write and then carry on as usual or will there be performance/stability issues?

Thanks in advance for your help/comments.

Advertisements