Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

comp wont boot up again,hlp plz!?

• Please log in to reply

g3m1n1

g3m1n1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello,
i have a compaq desktop running windows vista home premium and yesterday while my boyfriend was playing command and conquer,it froze,he went save the game,but then a blue screen flashed so quickly he couldnt read what it said,then it tried restarting and said master disk error or something,he doesnt quite remember,but now it wont boot up,keeps saying master hard drive error,it wont let me get into set up or system recovery,any help would be great,thank you so much :)

Advertisements

g3m1n1

g3m1n1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

hello,
i have a compaq desktop running windows vista home premium and yesterday while my boyfriend was playing command and conquer,it froze,he went save the game,but then a blue screen flashed so quickly he couldnt read what it said,then it tried restarting and said master disk error or something,he doesnt quite remember,but now it wont boot up,keeps saying master hard drive error,it wont let me get into set up or system recovery,any help would be great,thank you so much :)

i have a black screen that says this:

press f10 to run setup
press esc for bbs popup mune
the mch is operationg ddr2 667/cl5 in dual-channel interleaved mode
initialing usb controllers..done.
1016mb OK
usb devices:1 mouse,4 storage devices
auto detecting pri master..ide hard disk
auto detecing sec master..atapi cd rom
sec master: dl-dt-st dvd-rw gsa-h60l dc08
ultra dma mode-5
auto detecing usb mass storage devices
1-generic-compact
1-generic- sm/xd-picture
1-generic-sd/mmc
1-generic-ms/ms-pro
00 usb mass storage devices found and configured.

primary mster hard disk error
press f1 to resume

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
g3m1n1,

Sounds like your hard drive might be going bad. Do you hear any abnormal clicking sounds while the hard drive is spinning? If you have access to another computer, I would download the diagnostic utility for the manufacturer of your hard drive, burn the ISO to a disk, and boot off the disk and run the diagnostics, you'll probably end up finding out that the hard drive has errors. Some diagnostic software comes with an option to attempt a repair of it finds bad sectors, so that would be worth a shot to see if repairing those bad sectors at least gets you into Vista.

In the worst case scenario, you'll end up replacing your drive and having to pull data off of the old hard drive. I would make sure you plan for the worst case scenario by making sure you have all original disks (especially the OS reinstallation disk/ System Restoration disk)to install the OS and additional software, as well as the accompanying licenses (i.e. Microsoft Office). This will make you more organized when it comes to starting off on a clean slate.

Let me know if you require additional assistance and I can see where I can help.

Regards,
3quilibrium

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Here is a link to Compaq, you can find out what manufacturer your hard drive is by putting in your product number, then go to that manufacturer's website to download the diagnostics CD.

http://www.compaq.co...pq_support.html

Hope that helps some...

:)